16 fun activities for quarantine. Here’s a list of things you can do by yourself or with the entire family!
I can honestly say I never thought I’d write a blog post about ‘fun activities for quarantine,’ yet here we are!
If you’re like us and are practicing social distancing, you know too well that, at this point, the days are running into each other. I don’t know about you, but we’re starting to get a little antsy! So with the weekend right around the corner, I thought I’d put together a list of things to do if you’re looking for a way to add a bit more variety into what we call the Coronavirus normal.
So without further ado, let’s jump right to it!
16 Fun Activities for Quarantine:
1. Bake Bread
- Homemade Focaccia
- Whole Wheat Honey Oatmeal Bread
- 2-Ingredient Naan Flatbread
- One Hour Garlic Herb Dinner Rolls
- Jalapeño Cheddar Bread
- Cheddar Bay Biscuits
- Cinnamon Swirl Bread (p.s. you can turn it into french toast the next day)
- Garlic Irish Cheddar Chive Soda Bread
- Brown Butter Maple Pecan Banana Bread
- Southern Buttermilk Biscuits
2. Start a Movie Marathon
- Harry Potter (disc set)
- Star Wars (disc set, but also on Disney+)
- The Marvel Movies (Disney+)
- Mission Impossible (disc set, you could also watch individual movies on Amazon Prime or stream from Youtube)
- Toy Story (Disney+)
- James Bond (disc set)
- Lord of the Rings Trilogy (disc set, select movies on Netflix)
TIP: Speaking of movie marathons, did you hear that Netflix Party allows you to watch synchronized movies with friends on your computer? It even adds a group chat so you can talk about the movie together!
3. Organize an area of your house
You could dedicate as much or as little time as you like here. Do as little as one hour a day, or you can dedicate an entire day for an area.
- Reorganize the kitchen pantry
- Order furniture that needs assembly that you didn’t have time for before, it’s literally one of the most perfect activities for quarantine 😂
- Organize your spices by ordering matching jars and custom minimalist labels
- Reorganize your linen closet
- Wash and donate any clothes that you don’t wear anymore
4. Sink Your Teeth into a Thriller/Mystery Book
Here’s my personal list of books! I’m working my way through these:
- Night Film, by Marisha Pessl (currently reading)
- The Silent Patient, by Alex Michaelides
- The Other Mrs. by Mary Kubica
- The Kind Worth Killing, by Peter Swanson
- One of Us Is Lying, by Karen McManus
- The Broken Girls, by Simone St. James
- The Other People, by C.J Tudor
- Eight Perfect Murders, by Peter Swanson
- Kill Creek, by Scott Thomas
- Good Girls Lie, by J.T. Ellison
5. Start a Hobby, it’s the perfect time
- Learn to play an instrument
- Pick up a paintbrush
- Read a self-help book about an area you’re interested in
- Paper Mache a decorative bowl (with stuff you probably already have around)
- Write a book/a poem/a short story
- Start working out at home (Anees suggests these apps: Fitbod, 7-Minutes, 6 Pack in 30 days)
- Listen to a podcast about something that interests you
6. Treat Yourself
- Try a face mask with almost 30,000 reviews, I’m adding this one to my cart to try out
- Try an at-home microdermabrasion system
- Give yourself a pedicure or manicure with this set. Here’s my current favorite color for spring
- Start a skincare routine and stick to it. It takes 20 days to form a habit, so this is definitely doable!
7. Make Dessert
- Pecan Pie Cheesecake Bars
- One Bowl Lemon Olive Oil Poundcake
- One Hour Cinnamon Rolls
- Key Lime Pie Bars
- Old-Fashioned Sour Cream Coffee Cake
- New York-Style Cheesecake (Instant Pot)
- Texas Blueberry Cobbler (or make it with canned peaches!)
- Pan-banging Fudge Brownies
- The Most Addicting Sopapilla Cheesecake Bars
8. Binge Watch These Shows
- The Great British Baking Show (Netflix)
- Stranger Things (Netflix)
- The Morning Show (Disney+)
- Dexter (Netflix)
- The Mandalorian (Disney+)
- FRIENDS (disc set)
- Game of Thrones (HBO now)
- The Office (Netflix)
- YOU (Netflix)
9. Play a Game
- Bananagrams (5,776 reviews) 1-8 Players, ages 7 to adult
- Sequence Game (6,579 Reviews) 2-12 Players, ages 7 to adult
- Taco Cat Goat Cheese Pizza (2,802 reviews) 2+ players, ages 8 to adult
- Azul (2,359 reviews) 2-4 Players, ages 8 to adult
- Codenames (7,129 reviews) 2-8 Players, ages 14 to adult
- 5 Second Rule (4,483 reviews) 3+ players, ages 10 to adult
- Monopoly Deal (6,466 reviews) 2-5 players, ages 8 to adult
10. Cook Dinner with the family
- Shrimp and Sausage Gumbo (or Etouffee)
- The best Beef Tips with Gravy
- Detroit-Style Pizza with Homemade Pizza Sauce
- Chicken Tetrazzini
- Cheesy Chipotle Chicken Taquitos (or flautas)
- French Onion Chicken Meatballs (or the chicken piccata kind, Mongolian beef kind, or the cheesesteak kind)
- One Skillet Chicken with Lemon Garlic Cream Sauce
- Instant Pot Chicken Carnitas
- 30-Minute Ground Beef Stroganoff
- Balsamic Tomato Baked Chicken
- Roasted Garlic White Chicken Lasagna Soup
11. Buy an adult coloring book
- Lost Ocean Johanna Basford is also the creator of Secret Garden and Enchanted Forest. I could get lost coloring in these books for hours!
- Married Life a coloring book with a snarky sense of humor filled with both words we say to each other too often and fun patterns to color! If you can relate to Mom Life more, she’s got you covered there too.
- Plant Lady by Sarah Simon is a floral-themed coloring book filled with fresh blooms, plants, and bouquets. The pages are removable so after you’re done, you can even frame your artwork!
- Harry Potter coloring Book: Okay, but how could I not include this one for those of us that are a fan? I’ve made it almost halfway through mine already!
- Here’s a set of 100 color pencils so you can always find the right colors!
12. Go Outside
There are plenty of activities for quarantine that you can do outside the house as long as you maintain a distance from others:
- Go for a jog/walk
- Practice meditation – This one is great for anxiety (and completely free)
- Learn a new sport – I love Badminton, you can play with 2-4 players and swap out players if you’ve got more family members at home. Here’s a reasonably priced set for beginners that you can use in your own backyard!
- Ride a bike – I’ve got this one in my Amazon cart as we speak
- Grab a yoga mat and head to the backyard or stay in and try Youtube Yoga
13. Master a family recipe
- Find a recipe that you love that someone in your family makes, get the recipe from them and try it at home.
- Or try to create their recipe from scratch by yourself! For all you know, you might just make it even better!
14. Find a dance on TikTok and master it
- You could do this as a family or by yourself
- Send the video to a friend or family member and challenge them to get in on it too. If you’re both terrible at dancing, at least it gives you something to laugh at together!
15. Start a DIY project around the house
- This could be as small as creating artwork for a room by just putting pen to paper or you could knit a blanket, or finally turn your old college tees into a quilt.
- Paint a room, bathroom, or even a piece of furniture. This is on my list of things to do. I’m hoping to use the extra time to paint our bathroom vanity, add a wallpaper focal feature, swap out the builder-grade mirror, and change out the light fixture!
- Change up the decor in a room by ordering 1-2 new pieces or rearrange the furniture or decor you already have to make it new without spending any money!
- Swap out an old light fixture for a new one! You won’t believe how much life that breathes back into a room.
- For my advance friends: add woodwork, crown molding, do a feature wall, or add faux-brick paneling (on my list as well) to change the look of a room!
16. If all else fails, catch up on laundry!
I kid, but seriously, how is it that there is always laundry to do?
If you have any other fun ideas or activities for quarantine, book recommendations, or are binge-watching any new shows (mamma always needs a binge-worthy show) leave your recommendations below! 🙂
*Please note: this post contains affiliate links, this means that the retailer will give me a tiny portion of the sale if you decide to purchase through my link. This in no way increases or changes the price of the item for you!