Garlic Butter Baked Chicken Breasts
This post may contain affiliate links. Please check our privacy and disclosure policy.
The easiest way to bake chicken breasts (and the tastiest too!) Garlic butter baked chicken breasts are seared, on the stove and finished in the oven topped with homemade garlic butter and trust me, they are fantastic!
Garlic butter baked chicken breasts have the potential of becoming my favorite recipe of the year.
And it all starts with the humble chicken breast. Season it with the kitchen usuals – dried thyme, garlic powder, onion powder, and a hint of paprika along with the staple salt and pepper. Sear that chicken off in the hottest skillet and then into the oven it goes topped with a knob of melted garlic herb butter.
And then it’s as easy as serving it with your favorite side salad, pasta dish, fresh focaccia if you’re fancy and have your life together, or even a swoop of garlic mashed potatoes.
Quick Monday night dinners are something everyone needs in their repertoire.
EDM, you’ve heard of it. No, I’m not talking about electronic dance music, I’m referring to Easy Dinner Mondays. As in it’s the first day of the week and you really cannot get it together but still need to feed the tiny (and big) human beings you’re responsible for.
It’s kind of my favorite food genre. I mean, if you need proof, I’ve got it. There’s my skillet lemon garlic chicken, baked bruschetta chicken, balsamic tomato baked chicken, pesto baked chicken, and the cheesy bbq chicken, just to name a few. I kid you not; I live for Easy Dinner Mondays.
But also, quick clean up because ain’t nobody got time for that!
What do you need to make garlic butter baked chicken breasts?
- chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
- dried thyme
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- oil (for searing)
What if I only have chicken thighs, can I use those?
Yes, you can swap the boneless skinless chicken breasts for boneless skinless chicken thighs. But keep in mind that since chicken thighs aren’t usually the same weight as chicken breasts, they may require a little less time in the oven. Be sure to use a meat thermometer to check and make sure the internal temperature reaches 165ºF before eating.
What do you need to make garlic butter baked chicken breasts?
- fresh parsley (dry will also work in a pinch, use 1/2 the quantity listed)
- freshly minced garlic
- Italian seasoning
- pinch of red pepper flakes, optional
What can I use in place of the butter for this recipe. I do keto/paleo.
If you’re lactose-free or you follow a paleo/keto diet, you can swap the butter for ghee in this recipe. If you’re dairy-free, you can swap the butter for margarine or any plant-based butter.
How to make the garlic butter for garlic butter chicken breast:
You won’t even believe how easy it is.
- put the ingredients for the garlic butter in a small bowl (or measuring cup)
- zap in the microwave until it melts and combines
I don’t have an oven-proof skillet, how can I make this chicken recipe?
If you don’t have an ovenproof skillet, transfer the seared chicken breasts into an oven-safe baking dish. Then pour the garlic butter on top and bake in the oven as listed. Keep in mind that it may take a few minutes longer to cook the chicken since you’re starting in a cold baking dish. By baking it in the same skillet we seared the chicken in, we get a bit of a head start.
What do you suggest serving with this chicken recipe?
- a simple arugula salad (tossed in olive oil/honey/lemon juice and a sprinkling of parm)
- smashed potatoes
- guacamole salad
- marinated feta greek salad
- easy California pasta salad
- marinated mozzarella tomato salad
- roasted garlic Italian couscous salad
- superfood broccoli salad
- zucchini and corn saute
- the best brussels sprouts
- mashed potatoes
I hope you’ll try making garlic butter baked chicken breasts this week. It’s seriously one of the easiest recipes I’ve ever shared, and it’s because Mondays are meant to be easy in the dinner department even if the rest of the day isn’t just that.
- 4 chicken breasts (4-5 ounces each)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon EACH: black pepper, paprika, AND dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon EACH: garlic powder AND onion powder
- 1 tablespoon oil (such as avocado, sunflower, grapeseed)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 1 teaspoon EACH: Italian seasoning AND honey
- Pinch of red pepper flakes, optional
- PREP: Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 425ºF. Pound the thickest part of the chicken breast using the flat portion of a meat mallet (with a piece of plastic wrap placed on top of the breast.) This will ensure even cooking. Combine the salt, paprika, black pepper, dried thyme, garlic powder, and onion powder in a small bowl. Season both sides of the chicken breasts with this seasoning. You can allow the chicken to sit at room temperature for 5-20 minutes if you have time, or cook it immediately.
- SEAR: Add the oil to a cast-iron skillet (or any oven-safe skillet) over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot add the chicken breasts in a single layer and sear for roughly 1-2 minutes on each side. You don't want to cook them all the way through, just give it a nice crust on both sides.
- GARLIC BUTTER: While the chicken is cooking, combine the butter, parsley, garlic, Italian seasoning, honey, and red pepper flakes (if using) in a small bowl. Zap in the microwave in 15-20 second increments until the butter melts and all the ingredients combine.
- ROAST: Pour the garlic butter over the chicken breasts and place the skillet in the oven for 10-14 minutes OR until the chicken cooks all the way through and reaches an internal temperature of 165ºF. Remove from the oven and allow the chicken to rest for a few minutes before serving.
- If you don't have an ovenproof skillet, transfer the seared chicken into an oven-safe baking dish. Pour garlic butter on top and bake in the oven as listed. Keep in mind that it may take a few minutes longer to bake the chicken since you're starting off in a cold baking dish. By baking it in the same skillet we seared the chicken in, we get a bit of a head start.
We are a participant in both the RewardStyle and Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, which are affiliate advertising programs designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com and through RewardStyle.