The Best Garlic Butter Brussels Sprouts
This post may contain affiliate links. Please check our privacy and disclosure policy.
Crazy good Garlic Butter Brussels Sprouts that even the Brussels sprout haters will love! I toss my sprouts in a magical garlic butter sauce that’s loaded with tons of yummy flavor right after they’re roasted. So good you’ll want to make these all the time!
I’m confident enough to say that you’ve never had Brussels sprouts like these before.
Garlic butter brussels sprouts are sure to be the highlight of your dinner table. And I wouldn’t say that if it wasn’t true.
Brussels Sprouts aka one of the most underrated vegetables. You know; the little cabbagey-looking things that children loathe from an early age. The quintessential side dish that even the dog won’t bother eating because all that’s been done to them is a quick zap in the microwave. Or sometimes they’re cooked from froze on the stove. Certainly, nothing that’s worth your time. They’re mushy and overcooked, bitter, and or severely lacking in the taste department. That’s unquestionably not the case with today’s garlic butter Brussels sprouts. These babies are loaded with the most amazing garlicky, sweet and spicy flavor.
I wouldn’t be surprised if you decided to make a meal out of these little cuties alone!
My goal this year is to bring you more side dishes that work throughout the year as well as during the holidays. Sure, things like green bean casseroles only show up during celebrations, but my one-hour dinner rolls? You can make them anytime! So I thought, why not make a side that you’ll want to make on more occasions than just Thanksgiving and Christmas?
These garlicky sprouts totally fit the bill.
My recipe for garlic butter Brussels sprouts is inspired by a local restaurant in Houston that literally makes the best brussels sprouts I’ve ever had. They’re crispy and brown on the outside and buttery and garlicky when you bite into them. I’m convinced that restaurant is adding some kind of illegal substance to them to make them so addicting!
Ingredients to make garlic butter brussels sprouts:
The ingredients are pretty simple and straightforward. You’ll need:
- Brussels sprouts: I like to use fresh brussels sprouts for this recipe. Give them a good wash. And make sure to dry them really well. Wet brussel sprouts will never roast properly in the oven! Snip off the end and cut them down the middle. I like to place as many as I can cut-side down on the baking sheet so that they sear in the oven!
- Olive Oil and Butter: We’ll toss the sprouts in the oil first before roasting them in the oven. Then, we’ll melt butter, garlic, honey, and cayenne to create a garlic butter that we’ll douse them in when they’re tender and have the most amazing buttery flavor!
- Garlic:smashed garlic that is minced it added with the garlic to flavor these roasted sprouts. Garlic cloves work really well with the honey and parmesan.
- Honey: adds a hint of sweetness. If you didn’t want to use honey, brown sugar or even maple syrup would work well as a susbtitute. You just want to use something that’ll caramelize when roasted.
- Parmesan cheese: freshly shaved or grated parmesan gives these a nutty delicious flavor. The natural umami found in cheese works very well with the sweetness of honey and the heat from the cayenne pepper.
- Cayenne pepper and seasonings: adds just a tiny little bit of heat. Youll also need salt and black pepper to season the sprouts to your liking.
FAQs for the best roasted garlic butter brussels sprouts:
- How do you prepare brussels sprouts for roasting? Make sure to give your sprouts a good washing before you start. You also want to give them a good wipe down, so they’re completely dry. If they’re wet, they won’t brown in the oven to their fullest. Prepare the Brussels sprouts by trimming off the woody end with a knife. Then remove any outer leaves that aren’t entirely intact. We’ll discard those. If you roast them they’ll just end up burning! Then cut the Brussels sprouts in half lengthwise before tossing them in olive oil, salt, and pepper. We want the seasoning to really get into the cut side of the sprouts.
- Can I use frozen or canned sprouts? Frozen and canned sprouts, unfortunately, won’t work too well for this recipe. The cells of frozen/canned sprouts retain a ton of water and you won’t get them to roast up in the oven. For best results, I suggest purchasing fresh brussels sprouts. It’s just 5 minutes of prep time if you buy the brussels sprouts already trimmed and cut in half. They are available in the refrigerated section of your grocery store. It’s especially worth it if you’re making these for a large gathering!
- Why do you infuse the garlic into the butter separately? This process allows the garlic to slowly release all of that wonderful garlicky flavor into the fat without causing it to burn and all of that flavor then incases the Brussels sprouts when we toss it all together. It’s the key to making the best honey garlic butter Brussels sprouts.
What I love about this garlic butter brussels sprouts recipe:
- A perfect side dish that requires a total time of 30 minutes from start to finish.
- you’ve probably already got almost all the ingredients in your pantry or refrigerator.
- You can serve this with just about anything! Seared salmon, herb roasted turkey, roasted chicken, or steak.
- You can truly make a meal out of just the garlic butter brussels sprouts; I’ve done it, it’s that good!
Brussels Sprouts may not have been your favorite/families favorite in the past, but when they’re rolled around in garlic butter, they’re sure to please even the pickiest eaters!
If you like this recipe, you might also like:
- cacio e pepe brussels sprouts
- one sheet pan chicken, brussel sprouts and sweet potatoes
- slow cooker creamed corn
- the best green bean casserole
- bubbly cheesy cauliflower casserole
- 1 ½ - 1 ¾ pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and cut in half
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4-6 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 3 - 4 teaspoons honey
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper (or more to taste)
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
- PREP: Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 450ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a piece of foil (sprayed with cooking spray.) Add the Brussels sprouts to a bowl and toss with the olive oil and a ½ teaspoon of salt and a big pinch of black pepper. Roast the Brussels sprouts for 18-20 minutes or until they crisp up, tossing about halfway through.
- GARLIC HONEY BUTTER: When the sprouts are about 5 minutes from being done, add the butter, garlic, honey, and cayenne to a microwave safe bowl. Zap the mixture for about 30 seconds - 1 minute or until the butter melts completely. Stir to combine. When the Brussels sprouts are done, toss them in the prepared garlic honey butter and sprinkled with parmesan cheese.
- FINISH: Toss to combine and pop them back into the oven for another 5 minutes or until the cheese melts. Serve warm!
We are a participant in both the RewardStyle and Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, which are affiliate advertising programs designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com and through RewardStyle.