The perfect side dish to almost any main entree! These sautéed garlic herb mushrooms are sauteed in a slow-simmered garlic butter sauce with herbs, and they are sure to be a hit!
GARLIC. HERB. BUTTERED. MUSHROOMS.
I’m confident that these sauteed garlic herb mushrooms will be a hit with any real mushroom lover. They’re great paired with chicken, salmon, and are begging to be devoured with homemade steak. I also happen to think they’d be a great addition to the holiday table! A little something different than your usual zucchini, green beans, brussels sprouts, potato, and butternut squash side dishes.
I know, I know, not everyone plays on team mushroom. So if that’s simply not your thing, look, I get it! I’m not even going to try and convince you that these little buttons of umami are so good rolled around in slowly simmered garlic butter and spiked with a hint of thyme and fresh parsley. That your tongue simply can’t believe the kind of flavors that are bouncing around on it. No, I really couldn’t try and convince someone that doesn’t like mushrooms that these little nuggets melt in your mouth and make everything you serve along with it taste just as amazing with that garlic butter drizzle. And that you could probably finish all of these mushrooms in one sitting, by yourself.
I could probably make a meal out of these little garlic herb mushrooms alone! I love the way they pair with chicken, and so good with my skillet surf and turf. I know, Thanksgiving is all about the green bean casseroles, the best mac and cheese, the one-hour garlic and herb dinner rolls, the stuffed butternut squash, the sweet potato casserole, twice baked potato casserole, and the garlic parmesan brussels sprouts, but can I also suggest a new side with these garlic herb mushrooms? I feel like this is a side that would work year-round as well as on Thanksgiving.
My recipe for these sauteed garlic and herb mushrooms comes after I’ve loaded you up with garlic noodles, and garlicky Hawaiian shrimp scampi. It’s so secret that we really, really love our garlic around here.
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO MAKE SAUTEED GARLIC HERB MUSHROOMS?
- olive oil
- fresh, minced garlic
- baby Bella (or crimini) mushrooms
- fresh thyme
- chopped parsley
- salt and pepp
HOW TO PROPERLY CLEAN THE MUSHROOMS FOR OUR SAUTEED GARLIC HERB MUSHROOMS:
I find the best way to clean and prep the mushrooms is to grab a lightly damp paper towel and wipe each of the mushrooms down to clean the caps and the stems. I find mushrooms soak up some of the water if you wash them under running water, and then they release the water into the dish, which would then dilute the flavor of our sauce, and we certainly do not want that!
CAN I USE FROZEN OR CANNED MUSHROOMS TO MAKE SAUTEED GARLIC HERB MUSHROOMS?
Although frozen or canned mushrooms would undoubtedly work for this recipe, I find that they don’t develop the same flavor as fresh mushrooms. Frozen and canned mushrooms will certainly dilute the flavor of the sauce and leave you with a more watery garlic butter sauce.
WHY DO I INFUSE THE GARLIC INTO THE BUTTER SEPARATELY FIRST?
The process of slowly allowing the garlic to infuse the butter releases that full garlic flavor into the butter without causing it to burn and all of that flavor them hugs the mushrooms when we toss them in the garlic butter sauce. It’s the key to making the best sauteed garlic herb mushrooms, I’m convinced!
WHY I LOVE MAKING SAUTEED GARLIC HERB MUSHROOMS:
- it’s the perfect side dish with just about anything (see the full list below!)
- all the ingredients are fairly inexpensive, making it a great side dish for large parties
- most of the ingredients required are pantry staples!
- it takes about 20 minutes to make this start to finish making it ideal for weeknights
- its made on the stovetop (not the oven) so it’s great for Thanksgiving!
WHAT MAIN ENTREES GO WELL WITH SAUTEED GARLIC HERB MUSHROOMS:
- garlic butter baked salmon
- pesto baked chicken with tomatoes and mozzarella
- creamy spinach artichoke stuffed salmon
- lemon rosemary chicken
- cheesy baked bbq chicken
- roasted herb butter spatchcock chicken
- skillet garlic lemon butter chicken
- garlic lemon pepper baked salmon
- garlic butter tomato baked chicken with mozzarella
I know mushrooms aren’t everyone’s cup of tea but if you happen to be a fan, or even if you are neutral about mushrooms, I think you’ll love my garlicky take on them! Sautéed garlic herb mushrooms are sure to please anyone who has a special place in their heart for garlic!
Sauteed Garlic Herb Mushrooms
The perfect side dish to almost any main entree! These sautéed garlic herb mushrooms are sauteed in a slow-simmered garlic butter sauce with herbs and they are sure to be a hit!
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 16 ounces baby Bella (crimini) mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon freshly chopped thyme leaves
- ½ teaspoon EACH: onion powder AND granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Pinch of salt and freshly cracked pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- Place the butter, olive oil, and garlic in a large skillet over low heat. Allow the butter to slowly melt and for the garlic flavor to infuse into the butter, about 5-7 minutes.
- Kick the heat up to medium-high, add the thyme and mushrooms and cook for 4-5 minutes or until golden. Season with onion powder, granulated sugar, red pepper flakes, and a small pinch of salt and freshly cracked pepper. Stir and cook for another minute so the herbs release their fragrance. Sprinkle with parsley and serve immediately.
©. All images & content are the sole property of Little Spice Jar. Please obtain permission prior to using my images. If you would like to republish a recipe, please link back to this post and re-write the instructions in your own words.
Love this recipe?
Have you made this recipe? Take a picture and share it on Instagram using the hashtag #LITTLESPICEJAR. I love seeing your delicious creations!