Shaved Asparagus Pizza
Shaved asparagus pizza is quick enough to throw together for an easy springtime lunch or dinner! Once we bake the naan flatbread, we’ll top it with a shaved asparagus salad and drizzle the whole thing with white truffle oil! It’s easy, fancy, crispy, and loaded with flavor!
This recipe is sponsored by Kroger.
Asparagus pizza is sure to become your favorite spring meal! And bonus: the prep time on these is super fast! You can make these for lunch in between the hustle and bustle of the day, or for dining al fresco when the weather is beautiful out. I start mine with store-bought naan to make this quick to assemble but you can also make your own naan flatbread with my 2-ingredient recipe or use my lazy pizza dough recipe instead.
We’ll start by brushing the flatbread with my quick garlic-infused olive oil, top with a dollop of Creme fraiche, and follow that up with shredded mozzarella cheese. It doesn’t sound like anything amazing, but wait till you taste the magic of these ingredients! When the flatbread is bubbly and golden from the oven, we’ll pile on shredded asparagus that’s been tossed with olive oil, lemon juice, and a sprinkle of salt. Then drizzle it all with white truffle oil! Top it with all the parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes your heart desires.
It’s fancy but easy and it’s seriously one of my favorite ways to eat asparagus spears!
Ingredients for shaved asparagus pizza:
- Olive Oil: We’ll start by creating a quick garlic-infused olive oil that we’ll brush on the flatbread crust. I know, it sounds like a lot of work, but if you can grate the garlic and drizzle some olive oil over the top, and pop it in the microwave, you can make garlic-infused olive oil!
- Fresh garlic: The garlic clove gets mixed with olive oil providing a subtle garlicky flavor to the pizza crust.
- Medium Naan or flatbreads: I usually find these in the prepackaged baked goods section at Kroger. You can also use the variety of pizza crusts that Kroger carries if you prefer that over flatbread.
- Creme Fraiche: Creme fraiche is what we use to create the ‘white sauce’ with freshly grated mozzarella cheese. Kroger carries creme fraiche in the cheese section where you find goat cheese. You could also substitute with sour cream if you prefer.
- Private Selection™ Himalayan Sea Salt: A pinch of sea salt gets added to the white sauce and at the end in the asparagus salad. I love grinding it fresh!
- Mozzarella Cheese: I like to buy a wedge of mozzarella cheese from the cheese or deli section and then just grate it myself. It melts beautifully that way!
- Asparagus Spears: You’ll need about 5-6 spears per pizza. The trick is to use a vegetable peeler to create long ribbons or peelings from the asparagus. I hold the woody end (that you usually snap off) and gently run the peeler down the asparagus spear to create shaved asparagus! It’s an easy, yet elevated way to eat your veggies! Look for thicker asparagus spears when you’re shopping at Kroger for this recipe. The thinner spears are great for salads and such, but for these, you want a thicker spear that will make it much easier to peel.
- Fresh Lemon: A squeeze of lemon balances out all the cheesy goodness in the pizza and makes it light and delicious!
- Truffle Oil: Truffle oil is used for finishing. A little drizzle makes this asparagus pizza taste like it came from a fancy restaurant!
How to make my asparagus pizza recipe:
- Prep first. Position a rack in the center of the oven and start preheating your oven right away. If you want to use a pizza peel or a pizza stone, you want to heat it in the oven while the oven preheats. In a small bowl, grate the garlic cloves and drizzle two tablespoons oil over the top. Pop this in the microwave and let it heat up for a few seconds. It’s going to smell like the best garlic bread!
- Shave that asparagus. Hold the woody ends of the asparagus and carefully, run the vegetable peeler down the shaft of the asparagus. You want them to be nice long strips. Pop them into a bowl and set them aside for now. We’ll toss the salad when the pizza is about to come out of the oven.
- Top the flatbread and bake. Place the flatbreads on a baking sheet/ sheet pan, pizza peel, or you can bake them directly on the oven rack if you live on the wild side; I don’t! Brush the prepared garlic butter generously over the flatbreads. Then divide the creme fraiche over the flatbreads. Sprinkle or grind a tiny bit of sea salt or kosher salt over the sauce. Then top with shredded cheese. And then bake the flatbread just long enough for the cheese to melt.
- Make the shaved asparagus salad. While the flatbreads are baking, toss the remaining tablespoon of oil into the shaved asparagus along with the lemon juice, a grind of sea salt, and some freshly cracked black pepper.
- Top them and serve. When the flatbreads are crispy and the cheese melts, load them up with the shaved asparagus. And drizzle with the white truffle oil! Make slices with a pizza cutter and serve topped with shaved parmesan and red pepper flakes.
FAQs about this recipe:
- What other veggies can you use instead of asparagus? You could try shaved zucchini, carrots, or even use a bag of mixed greens from Kroger instead of shaving asparagus!
- What variations do you suggest for the sauce? You can swap the creme fraiche with store-bought or homemade basil, spinach, or sun-dried tomato pesto. You could even use a dollop of Alfredo sauce instead.
- What other cheese would work here? I like the way mozzarella works with the ingredients in this recipe but you could also use fresh mozzarella, provolone, or fontina instead.
Thank you to our friends at Kroger for sponsoring this post!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 2 medium naan flatbread (or prepared pizza crust)
- 3 tablespoons creme fraiche (or sour cream)
- Pinch of Private Selection™ Himalayan sea salt
- 1½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 10-12 asparagus spears
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Truffle oil, for drizzling
- PREP: Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 475ºF. If using a pizza stone/steel preheat it in the oven as the oven heats up. In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of olive oil and grated garlic, zap in the microwave for 15 seconds to heat through; set aside for now. Hold the woody end of the asparagus, and carefully, using a vegetable peeler, peel the asparagus into long strips. Place in a bowl and set aside for now.
- TOP AND BAKE: Place the flatbreads in front of you on a nonstick baking sheet or pizza paddle, brush with garlic oil, divide the creme fraiche between the two, and spread with the back of a spoon. Sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt and top with shredded cheese. Bake the flatbread for 4-7 minutes or until the cheese is golden and melts. Prepare the shaved asparagus while the naan bakes.
- ASPARAGUS: Toss in the remaining tablespoon of oil and lemon juice. Seasons it’s a tiny pinch of sea salt and freshly cracked pepper. When the naan pizza is done, remove from the oven, top with shaved asparagus, and drizzle lightly with truffle oil. Cut into pieces and immediately devour topped with parmesan and red pepper flakes!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 617Total Fat: 37gCarbohydrates: 53gProtein: 20g
To get the most accurate information, please input the ingredients you've used into a nutrition calculator.