Jalapeno Lime Chicken Soup is a twist on the traditional chicken soup recipe. This soup is loaded with fresh Mexican flavors, like, jalapenos, lime juice, cilantro, and salsa verde. With lots of protein from chicken and cannelloni beans and flavor, this soup is sure to be a new family favorite!
So it’s not really a secret that:
a) I absolutely love bold flavor – see here, here, and here for proof
b) I am completely obsessed with soups lately (i’ve made you both slow cooker minestrone and broccoli and cheese just this month)
c) JALAPENO + LIME
So this time, we’re doing a soup with a lot more flavor and we’re making it in the crockpot. Which means this soup will make itself and be all nice and ready for you. It’s perfect for when your kids and I go Trick or Treating. Umm… what? Total JK. I’m not gonna go trick or treating. Or am I?
The flavor of this soup. I could spend hours telling you about it. A hint of lime, a zing from the jalapenos (a baby-zing it’s not spicy just had a little heat), and fresh, earthy cilantro. I love topping my jalapeno lime chicken soup with just a little bit of sour cream to help cool it a bit and some crushed up blue corn tortilla chips for a little added crunch.
This is the perfect meal for my lately way-to-busy days. I’ve been recipe testing all sorts of goodies for you. And lets just say my dark double chocolate muffins could use some work in the chocolate department.
Things are quite chaotic around here, like, dropping a whole sack of flour on the floor and forgetting the salsa verde for this jalapeno lime chicken soup (whoops, back to the store we go). But I know I can count on my Crockpot to give me a break in the cooking department while I deal with my forgetful brain and make yet another trip back to the store. A warm, cozy, comforting dinner, that’s what I have to look forward too.
Crushed up tortilla chips, cilantro, and a wee bit of sour cream with this piping hot soup in a jumbo sized bowl. This soup will be ready to greet you after you’ve walked your entire
neighborhood zipcode, dealt with 1 broken pumpkin candy basket, a few kids in intense sugar comas, and a tantrum over how he/she didn’t get (insert your childs favorite candy/chocoalate here).
Don’t think, just start prepping this jalapeno lime chicken soup.
You’ll be glad you did.
- 1 medium red onion
- 3 – 5 Jalapenos, seeds and ribs removed [i](see note)[/i]
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup cilantro, packed
- 4 cups (32 oz) salsa verde ([url href=”http://littlespicejar.com/homemade-salsa-verde-tomatillo-salsa/”]homemade[/url] or store-bought)
- 4 cups (32 oz) chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breast
- juice of 2 large limes (or 3 small)
- 2 cans cannelloni beans, rinsed and drained
- For serving:
- Sour cream
- Tortilla chips
- Start by mincing the onions, jalapenos, garlic, and cilantro in a food processor. If your food processor is small, work in batches.
- Place all the minced items along with salsa verde, chicken broth, water, and chicken breasts in a slow cooker. Allow the chicken to cook on the high setting for 4 hours or the low setting for 7-8 hours. In the last 45 minutes of cooking, remove the chicken breast from the crockpot and shred using 2 forks. Add the lime juice along with the cannelloni beans. Add the chicken back into the slow cooker when 10 minutes remain. Season soup to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve with sour cream, tortilla chips, additional limes, and fresh cilantro.