Warm Farro Salad with Spinach and Mushrooms
This post may contain affiliate links. Please check our privacy and disclosure policy.
Warm farro salad with spinach, mushrooms, red onions, and tart cherries. Sprinkled with a healthy serving of parmesan cheese. It’s perfect as a side or as a main meal. This farro salad has lots of my favorite power veggie – spinach and it’s completely vegetarian friendly!
I’m craving this warm farro salad with spinach as I sit here in this cold, cold coffee shop drinking my luke warm coffee, jittering (from both the cold temp and the abundance of coffee i’ve consumed).
Yup this warm farro salad would really make my insides happy just about now!
And to everyone that doesn’t believe a completely vegetarian farro salad with spinach and mushrooms can be delicious, give me the opportunity to prove you wrong.
I’ve already proved the husband wrong. He’s eaten his words (and this farro salad). Because my hubs doesn’t care for vegetarian anything.
It starts with fluffed farro. I used the Trader Joe’s quick cooking farro. But you can use regular farro and just cooking it according to package directions. If you’re not a big fan of farro, brown rice or even quinoa would be delicious with this. And even though i’m calling it a warm farro salad with spinach, it doesn’t have to be eaten warm. It tastes really good for lunches straight out of the refrigerator.
The addition of fresh baby spinach and crimini mushrooms will have you full for days! No kidding! This recipe is pretty healthy with all the fresh veggies, small amounts of oil, and healthy grains.
And if you just can’t take this much vegetarianism, just grill a chicken breast on the side, or sauté small pieces of chicken with a little salt and pepper and toss them in the farro salad with spinach and mushrooms
I tossed in a handful of dried tart cherries and let me tell you, it takes this farro salad to new heights. It’s optional, so if it’s really not your thing, leave it out.
So let’s recap:
This farro salad with spinach is perfect to serve as a side salad with grilled chicken, steak, or shrimp. You can even sauté boneless chicken or tofu with salt and pepper and toss it right into this warm farro salad bowl or bol. It’s perfect just by itself without any additions and leftovers make for great lunches. And it’s good cold or warm. This salad is nutty, filling, flavorful, healthy, and delicious.
Now go give it a try my fellow salad lovers. This farro salad with spinach and mushrooms is sure to please!
- 4 cups farro, cooked (~ 2 cups dry)*
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 8 oz crimini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons (5 cloves) minced garlic (or more to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups baby spinach, packed
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or more)
- salt + pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup dried tart cherries (optional)
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and sauté the red onions for 3-4 minutes, stirring so the onions to not brown. Remove the onions to a small plate or bowl, set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and sauté the garlic and mushrooms together for 3-4 minutes. Add the dried thyme, baby spinach, and red pepper flakes. Continue to cook until the spinach just starts to wilt down, about 3 minutes. Add the red onions back in along with the farro, tart cherries, parmesan and salt and pepper. Heat everything through. Serve warm.
- If you do not care for farro, brown rice or quinoa are also great in this salad.
We are a participant in both the RewardStyle and Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, which are affiliate advertising programs designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com and through RewardStyle.