SPICY SPINACH AND ARTICHOKE DIP
This post may contain affiliate links. Please check our privacy and disclosure policy.
An easy to make recipe for thick and creamy, homemade spicy spinach and artichoke dip. This dip is a classic and requires little to no work!
Truth is, i’ve made this dip on several occasions this summer. It’s been tested on over 50+ people and every one of them loved it! So naturally, I couldn’t keep this little gem from you guys.
Confession: I didn’t even like artichokes till I met this dip – really.
This dip is so, so good.
Since this spinach and artichoke dip is a little heavier and i’m constantly trying to watch what I eat (okay, don’t look at any of my previous posts, please). I always make this dip when there’s a party and I can send the leftovers home with the guests. I don’t want any of that temptation lying around here. Lingering… calling my name. Nope.
Moving right along.
I’ve tested this recipe out several times and i’ve come to the conclusion that a) this spinach and artichoke dip can be made in the crockpot (yay) and b) it can be made even quicker on the stove (yay yay!) If I had to pick which method made this recipe even better, I would say the crockpot. Although the stove makes it within 20 minutes from start to finish, the crockpot really meshes the flavors together better. But trust me, regardless of which method you use, your final product will be gone in a matter of .8 seconds.
If you decide to make this recipe in the crockpot the directions are: put all the ingredients in a crockpot, let cook on low for 2 – 2.5 hours. How’s that for a simple recipe? You’re loving me right now, aren’t you?
The stovetop recipe requires just 20 minutes. So don’t worry, i’ve got something good for you too! 😉
We’ll start by sautéing our onions in a little bit of butter. Then, add the cream cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise, garlic, half and half, black pepper, and red pepper flakes. Let all the ingredients come together. There should be no lumps remaining, bubbles should start appearing at the surface.
Next, we add in the red wine vinegar, artichoke hearts (all chopped up), diced green chiles, parmesan, feta, mozzarella cheese, and the spinach.
Give it a good stir, and let the ingredients kind of mesh the flavors together. Let cook for about 5-8 minutes or until bubbles start forming at the surface again.
I like to serve this dip with crispy pita chips, tortillas, and crusty bread slices. Whatever you’ve got on hand will honestly work! I also like to serve carrot sticks with this spinach and artichoke dip, that kind of healthy(er), right? Say yes, just… say.. yes.
This creamy and slightly spicy spinach and artichoke dip makes for super easy appetizers or the perfect snack and if you have leftovers, it’s perfect to spread on sandwiches too (speaking from experience here). Bring it to a potluck and be prepared to have everyone beg you for the recipe. This dip is that good! But trust me. Once you taste the creamy smoothness of this dip with just a hint of spice from red pepper flakes, the pickliness of the diced green chili, the stretch of the mozzarella cheese (makes my heart stop every time!) and salty, delicious, feta, then you’ll understand what I’m talking about!
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (or more to taste)
- 8 oz (1 block) cream cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup half and half (or heavy whipping cream or regular milk)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (more or less to taste)
- 1 - 10oz package or frozen spinach (defrosted according to package directions and with all water squeezed out)
- 1 - 14oz can artichoke hearts, chopped
- 1 - 4oz can diced green chile
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- In a medium sized dutch oven, start by melting the butter on medium heat. Once melted, add the onions and sauté for 3 - 4 minutes, stirring in between so the onions do not brown. Add the minced garlic, cream cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise, half and half, ground black pepper, and the red pepper flakes. Work all the lumps out of the mixture, about 3 - 4 minutes or until bubbles start forming at the surface. Add the spinach, artichoke hearts, diced green chile, red wine vinegar, parmesan, feta, and mozzarella. Let the mixture continue to cook for 5 minutes or until bubbles start forming at the surface again. Serve immediately with tortilla chips, pita chips, or crusty bread slices.
- Leftover dip can be kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- To prepare the dip in a crockpot: Add all the ingredients to a large crockpot and allow the spinach and artichoke dip to cook on the low setting for 2 - 2.5 hours, checking in between and stirring as necessary.
We are a participant in both the RewardStyle and Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, which are affiliate advertising programs designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com and through RewardStyle.