SALTED ROLO STUFFED CHOCOLATE COOKIES
Dark chocolate cookies stuffed with chocolate caramels with a sprinkle of salt. These salted Rolo stuffed chocolate cookies are perfectly sweet and just delicious!
Attention salted caramel lovers!
And chocolate crinkle cookie lovers too!
Boy, oh boy do I have a treat for you. This week I was itching to have some chocolate running through my veins. I wanted it. I needed it. I HAD to have it. So here I was just frantically searching the internet to feed my chocolatey addiction. And I found this recipe for salted rolo stuffed chocolate cookies on Sally’s Baking Addiction (I know, right). Everything the woman bakes is just ridiculously mouthwatering. I really wish I could jump through the screen and take a bite. <— That happens every time she puts up a new post.
These salted rolo stuffed chocolate cookies will blow your chocolate and salted caramel loving mind.
The idea is quite simple. Make these fudgy, chocolatey crinkle cookies stuffed with a rolo inside. Then give it a healthy sprinkling of coarse salt. And try not to eat all 18 of them. Let me tell you, that’s the hardest part about all of this.
This salted rolo stuffed chocolate cookies have a magical way of disappearing. I would absolutely love to tell you these chocolate crinkle cookies are still inside my cookie jar. But they are absolutely not. There are 2 of us dark chocolate loving people in this apartment, one of whom doesn’t particularly care for salted caramel (can you believe the hubs?) I made them 2 days ago. You do the math. Yes, we’re horrible.
This recipe does require chilling time. So make sure to think ahead. You need to refrigerate the cookie dough for at least 1-2 hours. Sally says she leaves her for 4 if she’s got time. I find it’s perfect when left fort 4 hours.
Sally uses coarse salt on these caramel stuffed cookies. I was talking to the lady at my local Trader Joe’s, she suggested using ‘pyramid salt’ for them instead. She described it as being ‘less salty’. And although I didn’t quite understand at the time, she was completely right! It still has the same flavor of salt, it’s just not as intense. I feel that it blends in so much better with these cookies. Coarse salt works fine, but if you have a chance, give it a try with the pyramid salt.
For all of you soft cookie lovers out there, you are going to have a ball with these! They will blow your mind.
They really will.
Salted Rolo Stuffed Chocolate Cookies
Dark chocolate cookies stuffed with chocolate caramels with a sprinkle of salt. These salted rolo stuffed chocolate cookies are perfectly sweet and just delicious!
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar (or dark brown)
- 1 large egg, room temperature preferred
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons half and half
- 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips (or more)
- 16-17 Rolos, chocolate coated caramels
- pyramid salt (crushed up) or coarse sea salt
- In medium bowl, sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt together. Set aside.
- Using a handheld or in the metal bowl of an electric mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter on medium speed for 20 seconds. Add the sugars with the mixer running on medium speed. Cream together until fluffy. Scrape the sides of the bowl as necessary. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Slowly add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients. Stir in the half and half. Fold in the bittersweet chocolate. The dough will sticky. Chill for at least 1-2 hours. Or for optimal results, chill for 4.
- Place 2 racks near the center of the oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
- Take about 2 tablespoons of chilled dough. Split dough in half and roll each into a ball using your hands. Stick a rolo into 1 ball. Top the rolo with the other ball of dough and seal down the sides so that the rolo is completely covered all over. Repeat with the remaining cookie dough. Sprinkle the pyramid salt over cookie dough before baking.
- Bake for 12-13 minutes. The cookies will look undone. They will firm up after they cool on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Store cookies in an airtight container.
This recipe was adapted from Sally's Baking Addiction.
Like this recipe for salted rolo stuffed chocolate cookies? Craving more? Stay in touch and show your love! Follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter, Bloglovin’, and Tumblr.
Such a good cookie! Perfect way to satisfy a chocolate craving 🙂 I need to try out this pyramid salt business!
I absolutely love pyramid salt now! Do give it a try Alyssa, it changed my world! lol
Love this idea!!
they look yummy!