One Skillet Chicken with Fiesta Cream Sauce
This post may contain affiliate links. Please check our privacy and disclosure policy.
A simple one skillet chicken recipe with fiesta cream sauce. What’s fiesta cream sauce you ask? It’s the most delicious cream sauce made with cilantro, lime, a hint of cumin, garlic, and jalapeños! SO good!
Am I becoming the one skillet chicken lady or what?
We’ll get to that in just a second. How was your weekend friends? Did you do anything special? The hubby and I had a MAJOR sushi craving this week that we finally were able to satisfy, well kinda. If you live in Houston, give Oishii a try. I literally stuffed my face with the yummiest stuff ever for lunch and was still craving sushi for dinner. It’s not that it wasn’t satisfying, it’s that it was sooooo good I wanted more. Kinda like this tasty chicken recipe topped with a fiesta cream sauce.
What the what sauce? FIESTA CREAM SAUCE. A sauce loaded with all the flavors, like cilantro, lime, cumin, garlic, red pepper flakes, and a hint of minced jalapeños. It’s been a while since I’ve cranked out one of my skillet chicken recipes and so here is one with a super tasty, Cinco de Mayo inspired recipe. Yes, I know, the 5th of May was last week. You guys. This recipe is a winner. You know how the saying goes. A simple 30-minute recipes that uses pantry staples and can be served with pasta, rice, quinoa, bread, farro, grilled veggies or even a salad! We’ve got another week of rain here and this is the epitome of good comfort food.
One of my most popular recipes to date on the site, is this one right here. And so I thought, why not do a few different spin on it so we can enjoy it every week with a new flair? You likey?
I am a big, let me say it again, BIG fan of easy chicken dinners that take around 30 minutes to make from start to finish. These recipes are especially handy when you’re like me — suffering from a pre-summer, head spinning cold. I’ve sneezed so many times that i’m surprised my brain hasn’t popped out through my nose yet. ?
There is something to be said about the fiesta cream sauce aka jalapeño cream sauce aka cilantro lime cream sauce. Clearly the inspiration for this recipe was the lemon garlic cream sauce but with a more south of the border feel to the whole recipe. This skillet chicken recipe is perfect for those nights when you finish work late or in my case are as sick as can be and still want a healthy and nutritious meal and NO TAKE OUT.
I can feel the cold meds kicking in now so I’ll leave you with this — this is the simplest one skillet chicken recipe ever.
You want this, you really really do.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (or thighs)
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon EACH: olive oil AND minced garlic
- ⅛ teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes (or more to taste)
- ⅓ cup finely diced yellow onions
- 2 tablespoons EACH: minced jalapeños, butter, AND chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- Using a mallet, pound down the chicken breasts/thighs into ½ inch thickness. Sprinkle a pinch of salt and pepper on both sides of the chicken.
- In a 2 cup measuring cup or a small bowl, combine the chicken broth, lime juice, garlic, cumin and red pepper flakes.
- Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- Heat the olive oil in a large oven-safe skillet over medium high heat. Add the chicken and allow to brown on both sides for 2-3 minutes per side. Don't worry if the chicken isn't cooked completely, we'll finish it in the oven. Remove the chicken to a plate.
- Reduce the flame to medium, add the diced onions to the skillet along with the chicken broth mixture. Using a whisk, scrape the bottom of the pan so all the brown bits are loosened. Let sauce reduce for about 9-12 minutes or until about ⅓ cup of the sauce remains. Add the minced jalapeños and stir to combine.
- When the sauce has reduced, remove from the flame, add the butter and whisk until it melts completely. With the skillet off the flame, add the heavy cream, whisk to combine. Place the skillet back over the flame for just 30 seconds, DO NOT allow the sauce to boil. Remove from heat, add the chicken back into the pan and drizzle the sauce over the chicken. Place the skillet in the oven for 5-8 minutes or until the chicken is completely cooked through. Top with chopped cilantro and serve warm with additional lime wedges.
- Use boneless skinless chicken breasts/thighs that about the same thickness. I pounded mine down to about ½ inch.
IS THIS A GOOD CHOICE FOR YOU?
*Please note: the nutritional facts calculated are an estimate based on the ingredients i’ve used. If you’d like a more accurate count, please calculate them using the ingredients/brands you’ve used to prepare the recipe. The nutritional facts provided is for ¼ of the recipe, assuming you use a total of 1 1/2lb. boneless, skinless chicken total.
We are a participant in both the RewardStyle and Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, which are affiliate advertising programs designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com and through RewardStyle.