Don’t get me wrong. I have nothing against bagels. They’re great when fresh and smothered in delicious cream cheese.
But there’s just something about a warm muffin. The smell that’s unleashed when you break open a freshly baked muffin. The way the heat radiates out of the paper lining. I’m easy to please; I’d take one that came in almost any flavor. Be it chocolate, lemon, blueberry, or banana.
And if it comes in a mini size, now thats just bonus points.
Thank goodness I’ve never been forced to make such absurd decisions.
These carrot cake muffins are absolutely perfect! Straight forward and super simple. A whole hell of a lot better than the stale coffee shop version… perfect! And I don’t say things are perfect that often. *FACT*
Ahem, needless to say I devoured a muffin while typing this. I wouldn’t be surprised if I found a few crumbs around the keyboard later.
Gather your ingredients, we’re making healthy carrot cake muffins! I’m using half whole wheat flour and half all purpose. This provides the texture desired and the nutrition too. Coconut oil is the fat used in this recipe. If you don’t use coconut oil, you can replace it with canola, corn, or vegetable oil.
Super moist and healthy carrot cake muffins are my jam!
Super Moist and Healthy Carrot Cake Muffins
Learn how to make healthy carrot cake muffins that are loaded with nuts, shredded carrots, and raisins!
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
- 3/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup apple sauce (no sugar added or unsweetened)
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt (any fat amount 1% or 2%)
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups carrots, finely shredded
- 1/2 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup oats
- Put 2 racks in the center of the oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line cupcake baking pan with liners, sprinkle half the oats on the liners and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, and salt, set aside.
- In a large bowl with a handheld or stand mixer on medium speed, combine the brown sugar and oil. Beat in the yogurt and apple sauce until fully combined – about 1 minute. Mixture will be gritty and thin. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix in the vanilla.
- With a spatula, manually stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined and all flour pockets are gone – do not overmix. Fold in the finely shredded carrots, shredded coconut, raisins, and walnuts. Pour into prepared cupcake pans. Sprinkle the remaining oats on top.
- Bake for 20 – 23 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean or with just a few crumbs.
©. All images & content are the sole property of Little Spice Jar. Please obtain permission prior to using my images. If you would like to republish a recipe, please link back to this post and re-write the instructions in your own words.
Love this recipe?
Have you made this recipe? Take a picture and share it on Instagram using the hashtag #LITTLESPICEJAR. I love seeing your delicious creations!