Hummus Chicken Shawarma Wraps made with my homemade shawarma blend! No need to use the expensive store-bought stuff when you can make it at home with pantry staples. These wraps are perfect for a quick lunch or easy dinner!
HUMMUS CHICKEN SHAWARMA WRAPS.
All caps baby, because that’s what shawarma wraps deserve. And these super simple, easy to make, and absolutely delicious restaurant style chicken shawarmas are a cinch to make at home. I’m even making my own homemade shawarma seasoning. It’s just simple pantry staple spices that we’ve all got laying around. AND AND AND. If you want, you can make a big jar of homemade shawarma seasoning and keep it on hand for when you need to pull a quick dinner together in no time.
My favorite part about this recipe 👉🏼👉🏼👉🏼 it’s on the lighter side so it’s waistline friendly and shredded chicken shawarma meat can totally be eaten with a big salad that’s loaded with everything you’ve got in the refrigerator if you want to avoid the carb-y pitas. I served mine it whole wheat pitas but that’s completely your call. You know those 90 calorie flat-out wraps? THOSE. My first shawarma wraps were made in those and they were out-of-the-park amazing. But have you ever tried to picture a shawarma wrap in one of those things? Totally not cooperative. Hence, the pitas. But either would do the trick.
And have you ever tried hummus as a dressing on a salad? If you a.) haven’t b.) wouldn’t or c.) never thought of it –> DO IT.
It’s a life-changer.
Wanna know why I love these chicken shawarma wraps so much? Customization. Because you know that this girl right here (points to self) loves to have topping possibilities. I’ve pretty much stuffed anything you can think of into these wraps (potatoes included) and they’ve come out delicious.
- ✔️Roasted veggies + hummus + shawarma chicken.
- ✔️ Onions+ tomatoes+ cucumbers + lettuce
- ✔️ Baked french fries + hummus + shawarma chicken
- ✔️Roasted herbed potatoes + hummus + shawarma chicken
You guys! See what I mean? Got roasted bell peppers, butternut squash, or brussel sprouts. ADD THEM IN. You can pretty much shove everything into these wraps and it’ll still come out delicious. Know why? It’s that homemade shawarma seasoning. Which is just a combination of all spice, garlic powder, ground cloves, cinnamon, oregano, nutmeg, ground cardamom, onion powder, and black pepper. I opted to leave the salt out because this is something that you can control and add to your own liking.
Let me walk you through the process for the chicken shawarmas. Combine the seasonings in a bowl, add 1 tablespoon of white vinegar and 2 tablespoons of olive oil along with the salt and coat the chicken breasts well. Allow the chicken to marinate for at least 15 minutes and up to 15 hours. I like to chop my veggies, heat my pita and get my hummus out of the refrigerator for a few minutes while the chicken is marinating. And then just a quick 3-5 minutes per side cooking/grilling on the chicken. And, here’s the HARDEST, MOST IMPORTANT PART. Let your chicken rest. You wanna give it at least 5 minutes before you start chopping it up. Because you definitely want it to hold in all those juice bits. Then just assemble these to your liking. That’s it.
You like them. You really like them. No, you LOVE these simple hummus chicken shawarma wraps.
Food hypnosis at it’s finest.
- SHAWARMA SEASONING:
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon EACH: black pepper, ground cloves, ground cinnamon, oregano, ground cardamom, AND onion powder
- ½ teaspoon all spice powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast or thighs (see note)
- ½ cup hummus ([url href=”http://littlespicejar.com/creamy-restaurant-style-hummus-homemade-pita-chips/” target=”_blank”]homemade[/url] or store-bought)
- FOR SERVING:
- pita bread, romaine lettuce, sliced onions, sliced pickles, chopped tomatoes, diced cucumbers, baked french fries, roasted potatoes, roasted vegetables, and [url href=”http://littlespicejar.com/beef-shawarma-bowls-with-vermicelli-rice/” target=”_blank”]vermicelli rice[/url]
- [b]SHAWARMA SEASONING[/b]: In a medium bowl, combine all the ingredients for the shawarma seasoning.
- [b]SHAWARMA[/b]: Add the white vinegar, salt, and olive oil and stir until combine. Add the chicken breast/s and allow the chicken to marinate at room temperature for 15 minutes or for up to 15 hours, covered in the refrigerator. When ready to cook, heat a large non-stick or cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Add the chicken filets to the pan and allow to cook for 3-5 minutes per side depending on the thickness. This time may be shorter or longer depending on how thick your chicken is. Mine took exactly 4 minutes per side. Remove the chicken from the skillet and allow to rest on a cutting for for at least 5 minutes before dicing.
- [b]SERVING[/b]: When ready to serve, heat the pita, spread the desired amount of hummus and top with diced chicken and your favorite toppings! Serve warm.
IS THIS A GOOD CHOICE FOR YOU?
*Please note: the nutritional facts calculated are an estimate based on the ingredients i’ve used. If you’d like a more accurate count, please calculate them using the ingredients/brands you’ve used to prepare the recipe. The nutritional facts are for the chicken shawarma meat only. This DOES NOT include the calories for the serving condiments or hummus as these calories will vary depending on what you put in your chicken shawarma wraps.