Simple Lemon Chicken with Asparagus
The simplest lemon chicken recipe with asparagus. I love a good recipe with a short ingredient list and just 25 minutes to whip this up, how perfect is this for a quick and easy weeknight dinner?
If you’re like me, you’re looking for a quick and easy dinner option on the regular. Because we all have those days where cooking is the last thing we want to do, eating, well, that’s a different story. Something that takes only a few ingredients and under 30 minutes to get on the table, in other words, a recipe that’s super simple to whip up. And for me, most of the time, i’m looking for something that’s also on the healthier side.
I can’t tell you how many hours i’ve spent on Pinterest pinning easy dinner recipes. And trust me, this one delivers every. single. time.
It’s quick and simple to make but also packed with lots of fresh lemony flavor, which is perfect for the summertime. I like adding in a pinch of red pepper flakes to spice things up a bit because on my blog, it’s all about the spice, baby.
I’ve probably made this recipe at least 5 times over the course of a few weeks and not just because it’s EASY. It should come as no surprise that i’m one of those people that get on a food binge and just cannot get off. Remember the thai salad binge? Yeah, I ate it for breakfast and everything.
But what I love the most about this lemon chicken recipe is that it’s easily customizable to the vegetables that are in season. Other than asparagus, zucchini and broccoli are other great options. And, full disclosure here, changing up the veggies helps throw off the husband when you’re making this recipe the SECOND time in a week. Different enough to where he possibly, maybe, may not notice that he’s already eaten the same thing a few days ago.
It will take you 30 minutes max to get this healthy meal on the table. First, you cut the chicken breasts and pound them down until they’re about 3/4 inch thick. Dip them in the flour, salt, and pepper mixture and then add them to the hot skillet that has just a couple pats of butter melted. Cook the chicken on each side and then comes all the flava flave. Sprinkle on the lemon pepper seasoning and the red pepper flakes directly to the chicken in the pan. When the chicken is done remove it to a plate.
Toss the asparagus in the pan and allow it too cook up for just a minute until it gets all nice and bright green. Remove it to a plate. Add in those lemon slices! The lemon slices helps deglaze the bottom of the pan. All those brown bits are loaded with flavor! BAM! Place everything back into the skillet and serve, warm.
You could serve this lemon chicken over a bed of warm brown rice or with a side salad. The hubby and I enjoy it occasionally with a salad but most of the time, it’s on a teensy dome of white rice. Because, you know, CARBS ♥.
25 minutes. Lemon chicken. A crowd pleaser. I’m thinkin’ this ones a keeper! 😉
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup flour (whole wheat or all purpose)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning (no salt added)
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 lemons, sliced
- 1 bunch chopped asparagus
- Cover the chicken breasts with plastic wrap and pound the chicken until each piece is about 3/4 inch in thickness. If your chicken breasts are super thick, you can cut them horizontally before pounding them down. Place the flour, salt, pepper, and garlic powder in a shallow dish toss the chicken breast in the dish to coat.
- Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium high heat, cook the chicken for 3-5 minutes per side allowing each side to get nice and golden brown. Sprinkle the chicken with the lemon pepper seasoning and the red pepper flakes. When the chicken is cooked through, remove to a plate.
Asparagus + Lemons:
- Add the asparagus to a pan, if desired, you can add an additional tablespoon of butter to add more flavor. When the asparagus turns bright green, remove from the pan and set aside. Add the lemon slices to the bottom of the pan and allow the pan to deglaze. Flip the slices to help brown both sides evenly, this should take just 1-2 minutes. Remove the lemons from pan, set aside.
- Lay the asparagus followed by the chicken and then the lemon slices in the pan. serve warm.
- Feel free to remove the lemon slices before eating as they are a bit bitter. I like to serve the chicken with the lemon slices on the side
- Recipe slightly adapted from Pinch of Yum