Shrimp and Corn Chowder
This post may contain affiliate links. Please check our privacy and disclosure policy.
Shrimp and corn chowder with lots of diced potatoes and loaded with smoked paprika for a New Orleans style chowder! This soup is perfect alongside a big hunk of crusty bread!
You’re looking at my husbands new favorite summer soup. He’s a big fan of chowders and this one totally delivers. And I think it’s pretty safe to say that you will love it too.
What you’re getting here is a creamy chow-duh with teeny tiny potatoes in every bite, meets succulent shrimp, and sweet kernels of corn. It’s unbelievably. Smoked paprika, bay leaves, and old bay seasoning bring so much flavor to this soup. Anees says it reminds him of New Orleans because it’s got such a cajun feel going on.
This recipe started out being a simple shrimp corn and potato chowder with a little smoked paprika and lots of aromatics when I noticed the goliath sized Yukon Gold potato in my vegetable drawer begging to be used. If you’re a regular on Little Spice Jar, you know that potatoes and I aren’t the best of friends. I mean sure, we make french fries
sometimes all the time, but using potatoes in soup isn’t something that happens on the regular in this house. So these teeny tiny Yukon Gold potato chunks found their way into my chowder and man (and woman), it was love at first bite!
Creamy flavorful soup loaded with bits of shrimp, potatoes, and tons of sweet corn kernels making it the perfect soup for summer evenings with a big hunk of crusty bread. Dipping crusty bread into this soup. Ze dunking of Ze bread into Ze CHOWDER is NOT optional. You dunk, eat bread and chase it down with a spoonful of this goodness. The hubby and I kept having to get up for more chowder because either we’d run of the soupy stuff or we’d run out of the meaty stuff.
How ever you decide to enjoy this shrimp and corn chowder. Just. Make. It.
- 1 lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups chicken or seafood stock
- 1 lb. yukon gold potatoes, mini diced
- 2 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 2 teaspoons old bay seasoning
- 1 cup heavy cream or half and half
- scallions, greens only, for garnishing
- In a large dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon of butter over medium-high heat and cook the shrimp for 4-7 minutes or until they become completely opaque on the outside. Remove the shrimp to a plate, set aside.
- Heat the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter and cook the onions and celery for 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and the flour and continue to cook for an additional 2 minutes. When the flour starts to brown, add the smoked paprika, bay leaf, chicken stock, and diced potatoes. Bring the soup to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat to low and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes. Add the corn and continue to cook for an additional 15 minutes.
- While the soup is simmering, reserve 8 shrimp and chop up the remaining shrimp into bite-sized pieces. Add the heavy cream, old bay seasoning, and chopped shrimp into the soup. Stir until the cream is incorporated and allow the chowder to heat through. Adjust seasonings to preference. Serve warm topped with scallions and remaining whole shrimp.
We are a participant in both the RewardStyle and Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, which are affiliate advertising programs designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com and through RewardStyle.