MISS SHORTCAKE DONUTS (STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE)
This post may contain affiliate links. Please check our privacy and disclosure policy.
Strawberry shortcake donuts that are a copycat recipe to Gourdoughs Doughnuts in Austin, TX. These Miss shortcake donuts are made with a shortcut! Using Pillsbury Grands biscuits, you can have these addicting donuts ready in no time! Smothered in cream cheese frosting and topped with fresh strawberries, they are perfect for breakfast or dessert!
And eat a shortcake donut.
Inhale donuts? That sounds like an idea!
And maybe rush to the store and pick up some Pillsbury Grands biscuits to make these donuts.
These giant, strawberry shortcake donuts are a great summertime recipe. They are perfect to serve after barbecue parties and double up as dessert items for brunch menus too. Because every brunch needs a dessert. Can’t break the rules!
Dessert anytime of the day is A-OK with me. Especially dessert for breakfast. If i’ve got a cup of coffee in my hand and a strawberry shortcake donut on my plate, i’m a happy gal.
Last month Anees and I made a mini trip to Austin. I had heard all the rave about Gourdoughs Doughnuts there and how they are out of this world. I needed to see what all the hype was about. Gourdoughs is a food truck so it’s usually just pickup and go. We stopped by around 10pm to grab a little dessert and the line was wrapped all the way around the foodtruck and down the street. Stubborn as I am, I wasn’t leaving without my donut! No ma’am!
Long story short, I got my donut at 1am! But man, oh man, was it worth it! And Anees picked a chocolate dunked, chocolate drizzled, chocolate sprinkled, with crumbled brownies, something or other that was good enough to ensure i’d get another pit stop at Gourdoughs the next time we were in town. I find that works. If I want to try out a place, I find something irresistibly chocolatey on the menu and tell the husband. 10 times out of 9, I end up getting to go. 😉
Don’t think for a second that I didn’t enjoy every bite of that donut, even if it was 1 in the morning. In fact, I enjoyed it so much, that I couldn’t wait to come home and recreate this recipe!
And here I am a month later… still thinking about strawberry shortcake donuts! Yes, I’m a big ol’ dork. I had to get the flavor for the cream cheese frosting just right. And have mercy, (biggest Full House fan, right here) this frosting, I could eat by the spoonful!
If you follow me on instagram, you might of seen I did a mini cooking class this past weekend. Key Lime Pie bars and these miss shortcake donuts were on the menu. And let me tell you, these donuts were gobbled up in a matter of minutes! Everyone loved them for 2 reasons – 1) because they taste phenomenal – nothing like anything you’ve had before and 2) because they are so easy to make, you are going to make them over and over again.
The cream cheese frosting for these shortcake donuts can be made ahead of time and refrigerated the night before. You can also clean and slice the strawberries and have them ready to go. That way, you just need to fry the donuts in the morning.
Just a couple notes –
You want to make sure you’re using Pillsbury Grands Biscuits the flaky layers kind. These puff up perfectly. I used a donut cutter to imprint the inside circle, and using a sharp knife I cut out the imprint. You could do this with a bottle cap or whatever you’ve got on hand that’s an appropriate size. Oh and don’t toss those little inner donut circles! Fry them up and roll them around in powdered sugar, I promise, you won’t be sorry you did!
Lets talk about the cream cheese frosting – I can’t even type “cream cheese frosting” without my mouth salivating. Its the best part about these shortcake donuts! It’s made with cream cheese (duh, right?) sour cream, butter, powdered sugar, salt, vanilla, and lemon juice. Mix it all up in an electric mixer. That’s it!
Go ahead, indulge! I promise you’ll still be dreaming about these powder sugared, strawberry topped donuts weeks after one taste (I was for sure!). This is without a doubt my favorite donut recipe!
- 1 Package Pillsbury Grands Flaky Layers Biscuits
- 1 lb. strawberries, sliced
- Oil, for frying
- powdered sugar, for serving
For the cream cheese frosting:
- 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese (full fat or low fat, don't use fat free)
- 1/2 stick of unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 1/4 cup powdered sugar
To make the cream cheese frosting:
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the cream cheese, butter, and sour cream for 5 minutes. Stop the mixer, using a rubber spatula scrape the sides, add the salt, vanilla extract, and lemon juice, turn the mixer on and let the ingredients mix. Reduce the speed of the mixer to stir and add the powdered sugar in small batches, the whole process should take about 3 -4 minutes. Cover the frosting and place in the refrigerator for 1 hour or up to 24 hours.
To make the donuts:
- Place the biscuits one at a time on a cutting board and using a bottle cap or donut cutter, imprint the "inner circle" of the donut. Carefully, use a sharp paring knife to cut out the donut hole.
- In a large dutch oven or pot fill 1/3 full of oil and heat to medium heat. Once the oil is hot, get close to the oil and drop in the donut, being careful not to splash or burn your hand. Continuously turn the donut using a skewer until lightly golden brown. Remove donuts onto a plate lined with paper towels.
To assemble the shortcake donuts:
- Let the donuts come to room temperature. Spread a big dollop of cream cheese frosting on the donut and lots of sliced strawberries. Sprinkle with additional powdered sugar, if desired.
- Recipe for these shortcake donuts doubles beautifully.
- Cream cheese frosting can be prepared one day ahead. Fry the donuts up fresh, the day of
- Reserve the donut holes and fry them up, roll them around in powdered sugar for an additional treat.
We are a participant in both the RewardStyle and Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, which are affiliate advertising programs designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com and through RewardStyle.