Lemon Roasted Salmon with Sweet Potatoes and Broccolini
This post may contain affiliate links. Please check our privacy and disclosure policy.
Learn how to meal prep this easy lemon roasted salmon with sweet potatoes and broccolini. It’s simple to do and works great for easy lunches and dinners! Just heat and EAT.
And here we are!
Just bulldozing into Halloween and BAM. It’s NOVEMBER on Tuesday. Which we all know officially means the beginning of stretchy-pants-season. There’s just so much to love about this time of the year. Is it just me, or is the world just a better place? It’s happy season. People getting together. Warm and cozy meals by the fireside. PRESENTS. And cocoa topped with extra marshmallows. And before you know it you slowly start developing an extra candy-coating and would you look at that! The wash shrank my jeans again!
It happens every year.
So i’m really redoing this whole new years resolution business. Instead of starting all this i’m-eating-clean-and-going-to-the-gym-23-times-a-week business at the beginning of 2017. I’m planning on rolling through the rest of ’16 and right on into ’17 in full swing. Is this what 30 is all about? Becoming all sensible and stuff?
This is scary business.
And one of the ways I plan on embracing this new chapter oh so gracefully — have meals prepped and ready to go. Which, fingers-crossed, will keep me from binging on coconut oil kettle chips in my weakest hours.
This lemon roasted salmon with sweet potatoes and broccolini is perfectly portioned and ready to EAT. So there’s none of that middle stuff where you must think, linger at the refrigerator, open the pantry, and decide potato chips are totally acceptable. Here’s how we’re going to do it → perfectly portion little meal prep container goes into the microwave and into your belly. None of that middle stuff. My Costco peeps – they have a 25 pack that they sell there if you need a TON.
By making and eating regular meals like sweet potatoes with lemon roasted salmon, we keep ourselves nourished, healthy, and stress-free in the food department. But that doesn’t mean we won’t play it a little fast and loose on the weekends or enjoy chocolate chip cookies that are fresh out of the oven.
This is about balance during the holidays.
Now let’s talk about this lemon roasted salmon with veggies. It’s simple. Just fill up sheet pans with wholesome ingredients — veggies — good carbs — protein and into the oven it goes.
- SALMON: A little lemon juice, a hint of butter, a pinch of garlic powder, and fresh herbs. Baste the salmon with lemon butter sauce and onto tray #1 it goes.
- SWEET POTATOES: on tray #2 we add the diced potatoes (skin on or off, do what you like) a drizzle on olive oil, salt, pepper, and a big pinch of cumin to really bring out the natural sweetness of the sweet potatoes.
- And finally, tray #3 has broccolini or broccoli — whatever you like. A drizzle of oil, a little salt and pepper.
What makes this meal prep lemon roasted salmon and veggies perfect is that all 3 things cook at the same temperature so you can pop 1 large sweet potato tray up top and 2 half sheets with the salmon and broccolini on the bottom. Start the potatoes first as they’ll need a whole 15 minutes more than the rest of the meal. Once the timer goes off, pop the salmon and broccolini into the oven and sit back, in 12-15 minutes your entire meal is DONE.
I like to put everything into meal prep containers and just have it ready to go but you can certainly use this as a dinner idea if you aren’t looking to have an extra set of tupperware containers in the refrigerator or if meal prep really isn’t your thing. You can even store each component of the meal in it’s own container and plate up before eating. I like the to-go boxes because during the workday, I don’t want to stop and plate food. Lazy? Sure, a little, but it’s also more efficient that way.
Also, just for a hint of freshness I pack the meal prep containers with a lemon wedge — totally optional. It really just helps bring freshness to the whole meal.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cubed
- sea salt + fresh black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- a few tablespoons of olive oil
- 4 cups of broccolini (or broccoli florets)
- 12 ounces of wild-caught salmon filets
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes and/or fresh thyme (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF.
- Arrange the diced sweet potatoes on one sheet pan and the broccolini on another sheet pan. Drizzle both with olive oil. Top the sweet potatoes with salt, pepper, and cumin, toss to combine. Toss the broccolini with the salt and pepper. Bake the sweet potatoes for 15 minutes, set broccolini aside.
- While the sweet potatoes are baking, prepare the salmon. In a small bowl, combine the butter, lemon juice, garlic powder, pepper flakes, thyme, salt and pepper. Heat in the microwave for 15 seconds or until the butter melts. Line a small baking sheet with foil, spray with cooking spray. Place the salmon filets on top. Drizzle with the prepared lemon sauce.
- When the timer on the potatoes goes off, remove and toss. Place back in the oven along with the broccolini and salmon for 12-15 minutes. Check on the salmon and broccolini around the 8 minute mark. I like my broccolini extra crunchy so I only cooked it until it was bright green. Salmon is done when firm to the touch. Baking time will vary depending on the thickness of the filet.
- Divide the veggies and salmon into containers and allow to cool slightly before refrigerating.
- veggies - You don't have to feel limited to using broccolini here. Use whatever veggies you like. Baking time will vary so just keep an eye on it till it's done to preference.
Is this a good choice for you?
We are a participant in both the RewardStyle and Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, which are affiliate advertising programs designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com and through RewardStyle.