Hot Chipotle Shrimp Corn Dip
A warm and gooey hot chipotle shrimp and corn dip that’ll have the guests going nuts! This warm and cozy appetizer is perfect for the big game, New Year’s Eve, and pretty much any party!
Hi my name is Marzia and I’m addicting to warm and bubbly dips.
This is the easiest, most addicting chipotle shrimp corn dip you’ll ever have. The first time I made this dip was for an impromptu get together with friends. Not expecting much, I put it together rather quickly and popped it in the oven minutes before they arrived. And out came the most bubbly and melty ooey-gooey dip that had us all standing around the baking dish with tortilla chips in hand.
With it being such an instant winner, I knew I had to share my chipotle shrimp corn dip with you!
Okay, I know it’s a little too early to be thinking about super bowl, but are you thinking about what you’re serving at your super bowl shindig? There’s always time to test out this chipotle shrimp corn dip for New Year’s Eve and then make it again for the big game! Other dips I highly suggest: Jalapeño Popper Dip, Slow Cooker Spinach Artichoke Dip, and of course, you can’t go wrong with the Philly Cheesesteak Dip.
Just saying, my Texas Chili would be an excellent addition too! I had a couple of people comment that they won a chili cook-off with it! I mean, WHAT?!
What do you need to make this hot chipotle shrimp corn dip?
- Cooked shrimp
- chopped onions, scallions, garlic
- defrosted corn
- Chipotle peppers
- Chopped green chilies
- Sour cream
- Cream cheese
- Hot sauce
- Lime juice
- Shredded Oaxaca cheese
I can’t find Oaxaca cheese, is there a substitute?
Depending on where you live, Oaxaca cheese may or may not be available. Usually, it’s found where the Cotija cheese is kept in the refrigerated section of the grocery store near the shredded cheeses. However, if you cannot find queso Oaxaca, feel free to use Monterey Jack or Pepper Jack cheese for this recipe. Keep in mind, as always; it’s best if you shred cheese from a block rather than buying pre-shredded. Pre shredded cheese is often coated in products to keep it from sticking together so it won’t give you that melty stretch!
How to make chipotle corn dip:
- Heat the olive oil in a small skillet and add the chopped onions, scallions, and garlic. Cook them until they soften and season with a pinch of salt. Remove them from the heat and allow the onion mixture to cool completely.
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF. In a medium bowl, combine the mayo, sour cream, and cream cheese using a wooden spoon. You want this to be soft and smooth before proceeding. Then stir in the onion mixture, chopped shrimp, corn, chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, green chilies, hot sauce, salt, lime juice, and half of the shredded cheese. Dump this mixture into a baking dish sprayed with nonstick cooking spray and top with the remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake the dip for 30 minutes or until it is golden and bubbly. You might want to give it a minute under the broiler to make the cheesy more melty and brown! Top with scallions or parsley and serve with tortilla chips and crackers.
Is this shrimp and corn dip really spicy?
We didn’t find it to be spicy at all! I used two chipotle peppers and three tablespoons of adobo sauce, and it was perfect. Keep in mind with all the dairy that’s in this dip; it cuts back on the heat quite a bit. So even if you use less than the quantities listed, I suggest using more than your usual amount because this dip tastes best when it has a little heat to it.
I’m expecting a large crowd, can I make a larger batch?
Sure! I suggest using a 13×9 baking dish that is at least 2-3 inches deep, so the dip doesn’t overflow.
How do I serve this dip?
I like it best with tortilla chips, but you could also serve it with butter or water crackers!
I hope this inspires you to throw together a batch of homemade chipotle shrimp corn dip. It’s easy and I’m sure it’s going to be as much of a crowd-pleaser for you as it was for me!
Hot Chipotle Shrimp Corn Dip
A warm and gooey hot chipotle shrimp and corn dip that’ll have the guests going nuts! This warm and cozy appetizer is perfect for the big game, New Year's Eve, and pretty much any party!
- 1 lb. of cooked shrimp, tails removed and chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onions, minced
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 lb. of frozen corn, defrosted
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, roughly chopped (plus 3-5 tablespoons of adobo sauce)
- 1 (4-ounce) can of chopped green chilies
- ½ cup EACH: mayo, sour cream, AND chopped green onions (white part only)
- 1 (8-ounce) brick of cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons EACH: hot sauce AND lime juice
- ¾ teaspoon of salt
- 8 ounces of Queso Oaxaca, shredded (see post for substitutes)
- PREP: Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the minced onion, green onions, and the garlic and sauté for 4-5 minutes or until the onions soften season with a small pinch of salt. Remove from the heat source and set skillet aside. Preheat the oven to 325ºF.
- MIX: In a medium bowl, mix together the mayo, sour cream and cream cheese using a wooden spoon or spatula until it forms a somewhat smooth mixture. Then add the minced onion mixture, chopped shrimp, defrosted corn, chopped chipotle pepper, adobo sauce, green chilies, hot sauce, ¾ teaspoon salt, lime juice and half of the shredded cheese.
- BAKE: Spray a 9x9 baking dish with cooking spray and transfer the dip to the dish. Top with remaining shredded Oaxaca cheese and bake for 30 minutes or until bubbly and golden on top. Top with chopped parsley or the greens of scallion and serve warm from the oven with tortilla chips.