Guacamole-Style Avocado Toasts with Fried Eggs
A quick and easy recipe for a healthy, nutritious breakfast, with a twist! These guacamole style avocado toasts have all the flavors of guacamole, for breakfast! This is a perfect breakfast for any day of the week and it’s ideal to serve for brunch as well. A perfectly balanced meal with good-for-you fats, a hint of carbs, and protein!
Do you love them or hate ’em? As a child, I didn’t much care for them. As an adult, I see the possibilities! There’s just soooo much you can do with them. Eggs aren’t just for breakfast anymore. Too often they become scrambled and stuffed inside tortillas with chzz and they just show up right around lunch time. I’m totally okay with that.
If you’re like me and you’re trying to watch your intake of sugar for the day, you probably start off with a more savory breakfast. And I’m not one that can have plain avocado toasts with an egg on top and call in a day. Nope, you know everything on LSJ has sooooo much flavor. I say go big, or go home!
Don’t get me wrong, I love the occasional skaaaqueeze of honey on my yogurt parfait with my homemade granola that’s barely sweet, but once in a while, you need something that screams BAM, breakfast all up in yo’ face. And guacamole-style avocado toasts are perfect for those moments.
Loaded with all the flavors that one finds in guacamole. You know, a hint of cumin, some chopped red onions, a little heat, cilannnnnnnnntro, and a twist of lime. These babies are sure to please a crowd. I like my avocado toasts with fried eggs, with the yolk that’s barely cooked in the center and the crispy edges – aka the best part. But if you’re not a fan of the drippy eggs, a couple of scrambled ones would be a beaut on top of these too.
Oh, and while we’re on the topic of fried eggs, have you ever wondered how diner eggs have those perfectly crispy edges with the yolk still dripping in the center? For the life of me, I could not figure it out. Well folks, the trick is simple — separate the egg! YES! Hallelujah! Um.. why hadn’t I thought of that before? That would have come in handy when I was busy eating all of that yellow yolk mush before.
Just fry up the egg whites until they’re to your liking, add the yolk to the center and let it cook up for just a minute and BAM. That’s my second BAM today, clearly i’m channeling Emeril right now.
Now get to the kitchen and make yourself some! This is a short post because there’s finally some sun in Houston and i’ve only got only about a million recipe to shoot today! Yippee!
For the guac:
- 2 ripe avocados, diced
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder (cayenne is fine too)
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- 4 large eggs, separated
- Oil, for frying
- 4 slices of sliced bread, french bread, etc.
- In a medium bowl, combine the avocados and the lime juice. Smash using a spoon until some of the avocados and broken down while some remain diced. Add the onions, garlic, salt, cumin, chili powder, and cilantro, stir to combine. Allow the guacamole to sit while you prepare the eggs.
- Toast the bread if desired. Warm a frying pan with desired amount of oil, I usually use a few tablespoons, adjust to preference. Add two egg whites to the pan and cook until desired crispness, add the 2 yolks to the center and continue to cook for an additional 30 seconds - 1 minutes or until the yolk warms through.
- Spread the guac mixture on your toasts and top with fried eggs. Serve immediately.