Garlic Parmesan Stove-Top Popcorn
Easy to make stove-top popcorn that’s drizzled with a homemade garlic butter sauce and lots of parmesan cheese! Cozy up on the couch with a great movie and lots of this popcorn!
I’ve thought about this quite a bit. I think there are 3 types of people in this world. 1.) The people that love/obsess over Harry Potter (aka the best kind of people in this world). 2.) The people that love/obsess over Star Wars. 3.) The kind of people that don’t give a hoot about either/ the kind of people that think both are okay. We all know what category I fall under. But is there any one out there that loves BOTH Harry Potter and Star Wars equally? Because if there is, i’ve yet to meet you. Do you exist? Oddly enough, both HP and SW have quite a few things in common.
But no matter which one of these series I’m binge watching (because yes, we’ve now watched all 7 of each) I need good homemade popcorn to munch on. And this recipe for garlic parmesan popcorn has been our go-to popcorn for most of them. There have been times when i’ve made twice the batch and it has all disappeared!
I know it’s the new year and people are trying to exercise and eat right. And let’s face it, self control really never stood a chance when it came to homemade popcorn. Especially when the Golden Globes are on this Sunday and you’re hosting the party. And while we’re talking menus, this recipe is also amazing to serve at your GG party.
Is stove-top popcorn not the perfect thing to serve when you’re planning on vegging out in front of the tube for a few hours just munching away? And why not make garlic parmesan popcorn because it’s only 1000x better than the regular stuff. It’s all about that savory tooth. <– That should be a thing.
The first time I tried making homemade popcorn, I was super scared. I thought I’d blow up the place or something. But it’s super simple and unlike the microwaveable bag, here I can actually get 99% of the kernels to pop. I hate finding a bunch of un-popped kernels at the bottom of my bag.
I used coconut oil to pop my popcorn because I love the way it brings out the natural sweetness of popcorn. You can use peanut, canola or any other kind of oil you like.
The garlic butter for this recipe is super simple too. Melt the butter in a saucepan or in the microwave and add the granulated garlic and parsley, stir and add your desired amount of salt. Drizzle it over the popcorn and give it a good toss. Now comes the fun part, add in the parm (and yes, more than ½ a cup would probably only make this better).
My hope for you is that you’ll not only make this easy stove-top popcorn but that you’ll make it again and again.
Happy weekend, Friends!
- ¼ cup liquid coconut oil (or canola, peanut, etc)
- ⅔ cup popcorn kernels
garlic parmesan topping:
- ¼ cup (½ stick) butter
- ½ teaspoon granulated garlic
- ½ teaspoon parsley flakes (dry)
- salt to taste
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- Place the oil along with 3-4 popcorn kernels into a dutch oven or a large pot. Cover and cook over medium high heat until all the kernels pop.
- Remove the popped corn from the pot and add in the the remaining popcorn kernels. Cover and remove the pot from the heat for 30 seconds. Place the pot back on the heat and cook, carefully shake the pot every minute or so. About 2-3 minutes in, the popping should slow down, remove the lid off the pot. Transfer the popcorn to a bowl large enough for tossing or a ziptop or large paper bag.
Garlic parmesan topping:
- While the popcorn is popping, melt the butter on the stove or in a microwave. Stir in the granulated garlic, parsley, and a small pinch of salt. Do not add too much salt as the parmesan cheese will also help flavor the popcorn. Drizzle the butter over the popcorn and stir to combine. Add the parmesan cheese to the popcorn and stir until combined.
Basic popping method adapted from Baked Bree.