Garlic Cheddar Chive Scones
I did this thing this week. I hate when I do this thing.
This thing is like having a million and one tabs open in a browser and then accidentally hitting the ‘X’ button.
It’s been one of those weeks. You know the kind of week where you’re crawling, begging and pleading that it could be Friday, so that the most wonderful pair of days in the week could finally be here.
Okay, let’s be honest, it was a total d’oh moment. (Insert face palm here). But lets keep this between us? You’re thinking, but it’s only Tuesday, it couldn’t be that bad.
There are only a few things that can make this kind of bad, better – tons of dark chocolate and oodles of carbs. Do people even say ‘oodles’ anymore?
I think it’s safe to say that after all of that, a pick-me-up is necessary! Let’s talk the beautiful language of carbs and symphony of butter.
Let’s make cheddar chive scones
Cold butter is combined with flour, baking powder and soda, sugar, salt and some fresh cracked pepper. We’ll add in sour cream later to make them beautifully flakey and golden delicious.
We’re going to add sour cream, an egg, and a couple of tablespoons of water. Then comes the good part, lots of chives and mountains of mild cheddar cheese. Once it starts to hold, we’re going to turn the mixture out onto a clean work surface.
Almost there. Just need to brush on a little egg wash and sprinkle with a little sea salt and some fresh cracked pepper. We’re minutes away from buttery bliss…
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic (or more)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt + more for topping
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper + more for topping
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, cold cut into cubes
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons water, cold
- 1/2 cup sour cream, cold
- 1/4 cup chopped chive, fresh
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded fine
- 1 egg lightly beaten for egg wash
- Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside for later use.
- In a mixing bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, fresh cracked black pepper, sugar, and granulated garlic. Cut in butter using a pastry cutter or potato masher until butter breaks down into pea-sized pieces.
- In another bowl, combine egg, cold water, and sour cream. Beat lightly with a fork until just combined. Add to the flour mixture and stir until the dough is soft and begins to combine. Add the chive and cheddar cheese and dump mixture onto a clean surface to knead the dough. The dough should hold together in about 12-15 kneads.
- Roll or pat the dough out into 1-inch thickness. Cut into 2-inch rounds using a biscuit cutter. Continue to reshape and roll dough to create more biscuits with scraps.
- Place on prepared baking sheet, brush with egg wash and sprinkle with sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper. Bake for 16-20 minutes. Serve warm.