Golden Brown Garlic Butter Roasted Carrots
My favorite way to make roasted carrots. Garlic butter roasted carrots are tossed in a homemade honey garlic butter sauce, then roasted until golden and delicious! Serve with just about any kind of protein you like!
Garlic butter roasted carrots will go flying off the table! Glazed with a simple yet addicting garlic honey butter sauce that pairs well with just about any kind of protein you like. I love serving it up with my homemade roasted chicken for weeknight dinners but also with a holiday turkey. That makes these roasted carrots ideal for Thanksgiving and Christmas.
And the best part is that this recipe only requires a handful of simple ingredients – most of which I’m willing to bet you’ve already got in the pantry or refrigerator. If you need a last-minute side dish for the holidays, these are quick, easy, and economical to make for a large crowd. And how good would garlic butter roasted carrots be at Easter?
I would add these to any and all holiday menus stat.
What do you need to make garlic butter roasted carrots?
- Carrots: You can use rainbow carrots (tri-colored carrots) or regular orange carrots for this recipe. Feel free to peel the carrots, or if you would like to cook them peel-on, I suggest running the carrots under cold water and giving them a good scrub. Dry the carrots on a paper towel. You don’t want all that added moisture in the garlic butter sauce!
- Butter: I prefer to use salted butter for this recipe (since we’ll be adding salt anyway!) I usually buy organic salted butter from Costco and use that in both baking and cooking recipes. A recipe is rarely made without salt, and salted butter works well in just about everything! Plant-based butter would work well for this recipe too.
- Minced Garlic: I like to use fresh garlic and run it through my garlic press. You could also use store-bought minced garlic that comes in a jar.
- Honey: Use any honey you like -wildflower, clover, or even orange blossom! All work well here. For those that can’t have honey, you could swap it for maple syrup instead.
- Smoked paprika: This is that special little ingredient that sets this recipe apart from all the other garlic butter carrot recipes out there. Though such a small quantity, the smoked paprika adds a nice smoky little flavor to the background. I use only a 1/4 teaspoon, but you could certainly double the quantity if you want the smoky flavor to be more pronounced.
- Chopped parsley: the fresh parsley gives the carrots a little color and brightens up the flavor. We add this on just before serving.
How to make the best garlic butter roasted carrots:
- Prep the carrots. Peel the carrots, or don’t! You can run them under cold running water and then wipe them dry on paper towels. Cut the carrots into thirds or fourths if they are huge.
- Make the garlic butter. Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 425ºF. You want to use a large, rimmed baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray so that nothing sticks. In a saute pan, melt the butter. Then, add the minced garlic and let it cook till fragrant. Season the garlic butter sauce with honey, smoked paprika, and a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Stir etc. combine. Then, add the carrots and toss them in the garlic butter sauce to glaze.
- Roast the carrots. Then, transfer the carrots using tongs to the prepared baking sheet. You want to keep the sauce in the skillet. We’ll use it again, so don’t discard it! Roast the carrots for 20 minutes. While the carrots are roasting, pop the saute pan back on the heat setting and let the sauce reduce for 2 minutes. This will concentrate the flavors a bit more. Then drizzle the sauce over the carrots (or pop the carrots into the saute pan if your pan is oven safe.) Pop the carrots back in the oven for another 5 minutes so the glaze bubbles and cooks with the carrots without burning! Toss the parsley on the carrots when ready to serve.
FAQs about garlic butter roasted carrots:
- How long does it take to roast carrots? It takes roughly 20-25 minutes to roast carrots in the oven. This really depends on the size of the carrots. For Thicker pieces, it will take you closer to 25 minutes.
- Can I make a double or triple batch? If you are making a double or triple batch of these carrots, I suggest baking only 2 pounds of carrots at a time. If you add two sheet pans (or a double batch) to the oven, the carrots create too much moisture and they end up steaming instead of roasting. For this reason, I suggest roasting one tray at a time so you get that beautiful golden brown color!
- Can you make these roasted carrots in advance? Yes, you could make these 1 day in advance and reheat them on the low or warm setting of a slow cooker if you’d like to serve them from the crockpot!
- How do I reheat them? You could also reheat these in a baking dish in an oven preheated to 250F oven until they’re warmed through. Be sure to garnish with parsley once ready to serve!
Other holiday recipes:
- Herb Roasted Thanksgving Turkey
- Brown Butter Honey-Glazed Carrots
- Garlicky Extra Crispy Roasted Potatoes
- Cacio E Pepe Brussels Sprouts
- Autumn Crisp Apple Sweet Potato Salad
- Best Ever Slow Cooker Creamed Corn
- Sweet Potato Casserole with Crunchy Brown Sugar Topping
- Garlic Cheddar Chive Spoonbread (Corn Pudding)
- Seriously Amazing Cheddar Mashed Potatoes
- Sautéed Garlic Herb Mushrooms
- Garlic Butter Brussels Sprouts
- 5-Ingredient Mac and Cheese
- Creamy Green Bean Casserole
- 20 Minute Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Twice Baked Potato Casserole (Potatoes Romanoff)
- Roasted Garlic Rosemary Focaccia Bread
- 2 pounds carrots, peeled and cut into thirds
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt + ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- PREP: Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 425ºF. Spray a large rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray, set aside. Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat. When melted add the minced garlic and cook for 30 seconds before adding the honey, smoked paprika, salt and pepper. Stir to combine, then add the carrots and toss them in the prepared glaze. Let the carrots sit in the sauce for 1-2 minutes.
- ROAST: Transfer the carrots using tongs (leaving the sauce in the skillet) to sheet pan so you can spread them out; don’t discard the sauce! Roast carrots for 20 minutes. While the carrots are roasting, pop the skillet back on the heat setting and let the sauce reduce for 2 minutes. When the carrots are done, toss the carrots in the remaining sauce (or pour the sauce over the carrots and toss.) Roast for an additional 5-7 minutes or until carrots are tender. I like to turn the broiler on for the last 30 seconds so they brown a bit more. Toss with parsley and serve!
- If you have unsalted butter, just add another 1/4- 1/2 teaspoon of salt to preference!