Fluffiest Whole Wheat Buttermilk Pancakes
This post may contain affiliate links. Please check our privacy and disclosure policy.
Learn how to make the fluffiest whole wheat buttermilk pancakes. These pancakes can be customized with chocolate chips, blueberries, or served plain! They are delicious!I’m looking out for your weekend.
Okay, lets be real. I’m looking out for my weekend too. And guess what? These whole wheat buttermilk pancakes are about to make one heck of a weekend for all of us! PAR-TAY!
That’s good news for you and bad news for my jeans. What’s worse is that I love to eat pancakes by the stacks of three or four.
Glazed with butter.
Scuba diving in hot syrup.
And a million calories later, I’m feeling super satisfied but totally hating myself at the same time. Sheesh.
Because of my extreme attachment to pancakes (especially the dark chocolate chip variety), I recently quit cold turkey. Vowing to never put another piece of buttermilk goodness in my mouth. Until I figured out a waistline friendly solution, that is.
Sure it was hard. There were days, I couldn’t even get out of bed. But the night is darkest just before the dawn.
Okay. Yes. That’s a quote from Batman. But it totally applies!
I have that magic elixir: the elixir to better fitting skinny jeans and good-for-you hot cakes. Some may even call me a hero.
We’re making whole wheat buttermilk pancakes with 100% whole wheat. Not half all purpose and half whole wheat. We’re going big.
I’m not about to serve you a pancake that has the density of a manhole cover.
The trick: using whole wheat flour with just the right amount of baking powder and buttermilk to make them fluffy without being cakey.
The toppings: I’m going with fresh blueberries. Feel free to smash up a banana with a tablespoon or two or three of peanut butter. Or dark chocolate chips. Or dark chocolate chips AND peanut butter.
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 and 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup blueberries or chocolate chips
- Combine 1 cup milk with vinegar in a medium bowl or a 2 cup measuring cup and set aside for 5 minutes to "sour". Add the egg and melted butter to the soured milk and using a fork or whisk, beat lightly until mixed.
In a large bowl, mix together flour, salt, baking powder and sugar. No need to sift. Stir milk and egg into flour mixture in 2 batches. Set aside for 10 minutes. Add the 2 tablespoons of milk and stir.
- Heat a nonstick griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake. Dot the pancakes with blueberries or chocolate chips as preferred before flipping. Brown on both sides and serve hot.
We are a participant in both the RewardStyle and Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, which are affiliate advertising programs designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com and through RewardStyle.