Easy Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken with Black Beans
This is the easiest slow cooker salsa chicken with black beans recipe ever! Just 4 ingredients. Serve this slow cooker salsa chicken on rice or in tortillas with your favorite taco toppings. You could even make shredded chicken and black bean nachos!
That? That’s a piece of my heart right there. Mhm. Slow cooker salsa chicken is going to be on the menu every week now. It’s got a piece of my heart (if you’re reading this sweetie, it’s wayyy smaller than your piece. Like wayy.)
CONFESSION: this is the best thing i’ve ever cooked. That. Is. Right. And ironically, it didn’t even involve me doing any actual cooking. Go figure? It involves just throwing ingredients into a crockpot and 30 seconds worth of shredding chicken. Bam!
So how is it humanly possible that FOUR ingredients can make something so delicious? I don’t even know. What I do know, is that we didn’t even mind the leftovers. In fact, we’ll probably be making this at least one a week. In large batches!
Just four ingredients stand between you and the perfect crockpot Mexican shredded chicken. Unless you don’t have a crockpot. In that case, just go! Go now! Get you one. I won’t leave you hanging. If you don’t have a slow cooker, this recipe can be made in a dutch oven as well. Just add a teaspoon or so of oil at the base of the pot before proceeding with the recipe.
To make the most amazing meal ever, just defrost a few boneless skinless chicken breasts. Boneless, skinless chicken thighs would be great too. Just nothing with bones, it would be quite irritating to have to fish them all out before shredding.
Toss a total of 1lb. of chicken, 2 cups of salsa, a 1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes into the crock pot and let it cook on high for 4 hours or low for 7 – 8. In the last 30 minutes of cooking, add a can of drained and rinsed black beans. Adjust salt to preference. BADA BING, BADA BOOM. That’s it.
Put it on a bed of rice. Give it a good twist of a lime wedge. It’s unnatural how much I love a good squeeze of lime.
Let me also tell you that this recipe doubles easily and cooks itself in the same amount of time (4 hours on high and 6 – 7 on low).
If you’re not a rice person, serve yourself this warm, saucy slow cooker salsa chicken in a big ol’ burrito. With smashed up avocados. Maybe a mini dollop of sour cream? Mouth watering. Stomach growling.
On second thought, I will also expect you to serve yourself this salsa chicken over tortilla chips. With melted cheese and jalapeños. Yes, that would definitely make you my friend.
- 1lb. boneless, skinless, chicken breast or thighs
- 2 cups restaurant style salsa (I used the fire roasted variety)
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- salt to preference
- avocado + lime wedges + Sour cream + Shredded cheese + Nacho cheese
- Place chicken breasts in a slow cooker and cover with salsa add the red pepper flakes. Coat all the chicken pieces with the salsa. Toss to do so.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours (or low for 7-8 hours), or until the chicken shreds easily with a fork. In the last 30 minutes of cooking, add the black beans and stir to mix. Adjust salt to preferece. Serve immediately over rice, tortillas, or tortilla chips. Dress with avocados, lime wedges, and sour cream if you'd like.
- Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 4 days. (Salsa chicken and black beans also freezes well.)
Recipe doubles easily and cooks in the same amount of time.