Easy Lemon Rosemary Chicken
An Easy Lemon Rosemary Chicken recipe that requires just ten simple ingredients! The chicken is seasoned with lemon pepper seasoning, seared and then cooked in a simple lemon rosemary butter sauce.
Weekdays are for easy chicken dinners!
Easy Lemon Rosemary Chicken. It starts with the humble chicken breast, just a few shakes of lemon pepper seasoning and a quick sear in a hot skillet.
While that’s happening, we’re going to just combine a few ingredients in a measuring cup and make the sauce in the microwave. And once it’s all hot and bubbly, we’ll pour the sauce into the skillet and throw it all in the oven and sit back while the chicken practically cooks itself.
What you’re left with is a tender chicken breast that’s perfect to serve over fluffy mashed potatoes and leftovers are great to use over salads, with steamed vegetables and some rice.
Meal prep? Done. And dinner is too!
Secretly, I’ve started a new Monday tradition in our house – EDM. No, we’re not listening to electronic dance music! My type of EDM is all about Easy Dinner Mondays.
But in all seriousness, what I love most about my lemon rosemary chicken recipe is that you can make it as simple or fancy as you’d like. Serve it with steamed veggies and fluffed rice or quinoa to keep it weeknight friendly. Make it with homemade focaccia and roasted brussels sprouts if you want to impress your guests.
What all of these recipes have in common is that they’re all big on flavor, easy on clean up, and quick to make.
Ingredients lemon rosemary chicken:
- Chicken: I like to use skinless chicken breasts for this recipe, but chicken tenders or boneless skinless chicken thighs will undoubtedly work as well. Please also remember that the cooking time may vary if you change the type of chicken. Be sure to use a instant-read thermometer to be check and make sure the internal temperature of the chicken reaches a 165ºF.
- Lemon Pepper Seasoning: You’ll want a lemon pepper seasoning that you enjoy the taste of. Most seasonings contain lemon zest, cracked pepper, and some source of sodium, amongst other ingredients. If your lemon pepper seasoning contains kosher salt, you can skip the amount listed. Mine didn’t, so I added a big pinch (¼ teaspoon salt) to the dry rub for the chicken.
- Butter: we’ll use most of the butter for the lemon rosemary sauce and a bit of it will be used to sear the chicken breasts. If you’re lactose-free, follow a paleo/keto diet you can also swap the butter for ghee. If you’re dairy-free, you can use margarine or olive oil/avocado oil in place of the butter.
- Lemon juice: goes into the lemon butter rosemary sauce we’ll make.
- Minced garlic: I like to use about 5 cloves of minced garlic or about 1 large heaping tablespoon of pressed garlic.
- Chicken broth: the chicken broth is used to make the pansauce for this recipe.
- Chopped herbs: you’ll need both fresh rosemary and some fresh parsley. The parsley is mostly for color
- Red pepper flakes: adds just a hint of spice to the recipe. You can omit this, or use more or less to your preference. We don’t find that the red pepper flakes add to much heat!
- Honey: I like to use honey for the lemon rosemary sauce but you can also use maple syrup or agave here if you’ d like.
Instructions for Lemon Rosemary Chicken:
- Start with the oven. You’ll want to preheat the oven while you’re preparing the melted butter sauce and searing the chicken breasts.
- Make the sauce. In a measuring cup, combine the butter with minced garlic, chicken stock, rosemary, parsley, red pepper flakes, and honey. Microwave the sauce until the butter melts. Set this aside for now.
- Sear the chicken. Season both sides of the chicken with the lemon pepper seasoning and a big pinch of kosher salt. Add the remaining butter to the skillet and let it melt. You want to be sure to use an oven proof skillet so that you can go directly from the stove to the oven. Sear the chicken on both sides in the hot skillet. Remember, we’re not cooking the chicken all the way through, we’re just giving the outside a little color! If you don’t have an oven proof skillet, you’ll want to transfer the chicken to a baking dish sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake until the chicken is done. Pour that delicious lemon rosemary sauce all over the chicken and roast until the chicken reaches 160ºF. You can let it finish carry over cooking on the counter to 165ºF (covered) for another 5-10 minutes or cook to 165ºF if you’re really worried. Spoon the sauce over the chicken a couple of times during baking so that the chicken doesn’t dry out.
FAQs about this recipe:
Yes! I removed most of the sauce from the skillet before shooting this recipe, so what you see in the pan is only a portion of the sauce. A lot of readers have mentioned they like having extra sauce, so I’ve specifically made this recipe with extra sauce! Drizzle it on rice/ pasta or your veggies!
You can serve this simply with steamed broccoli, cheddar mashed potatoes, green beans, roasted Brussels sprouts, zucchini and corn saute, steamed or grilled asparagus, twice baked potato casserole, superfood broccoli salad, rosemary focaccia bread, over cauliflower rice/gnocchi. Really, the possibilities are endless.
TIP: The lemon slices that you see in the pictures aren’t really a part of the recipe. I just sliced a fresh lemon and heated it in a warm pan and used it for presentation. If you’d like to do the same, feel free to do this in the skillet before searing the chicken breasts!
Other easy chicken dinner recipes:
- One Skillet Lemon Garlic Chicken
- Mozzarella Chicken
- Bruschetta Chicken
- Balsamic Tomato Baked Chicken
- Cheesy BBQ Chicken
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (1¼ pound total)
- 1 ¼ teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning
- 3 tablespoons EACH: butter AND lemon juice
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- ⅓ cup chicken broth
- 1 ¼ teaspoon EACH: freshly chopped rosemary AND parsley
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes (more/less to taste)
- 2 teaspoons honey (or maple syrup)
- additional lemon slices, for garnish
- PREP: Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 425ºF.
- SAUCE: In a 1-cup measuring cup, combine 2 tablespoons of butter, lemon juice, minced garlic, chicken broth, freshly chopped rosemary, parsley, red pepper, and honey and microwave in 30-second increments until the butter melts. Keep a close eye on it so it doesn’t boil over!
- CHICKEN: Season the chicken breasts with lemon pepper seasoning on both sides and a big pinch of salt. Add the remaining tablespoon of butter to an ovenproof skillet placed over medium-high heat and when it's hot, sear the chicken breasts. Do not overcrowd the pan or your chicken won’t brown. You may want to do this in two batches. Cook the chicken for 2-3 minutes per side. If you don’t have an ovenproof skillet, transfer the chicken to a 9x13 baking dish sprayed with cooking spray.
- BAKE: Pour the prepared sauce over the chicken. Bake for 13-17 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165ºF. Feel for firmness on the thickest part of the breast if you don’t have a thermometer. Spoon the sauce over the chicken breasts a couple of times during the baking process to keep the chicken moist! The amount of time required for the chicken to bake just depends on the thickness.
- Lemon slices: aren’t really a part of the recipe. I just sliced fresh lemon and heated it in a warm pan and used it for persentation. If you’d like to do the same, feel free to do this in the skillet before searing the chicken breasts to make it easier for cleanup!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 296Total Fat: 13gCarbohydrates: 5gSugar: 3gProtein: 38g
The nutrition information is provided as a courtesy and is just an estimate. To get the most accurate information, please input the ingredients you've used into a nutrition calculator.