Crock Pot Thai Chicken Coconut Soup
This post may contain affiliate links. Please check our privacy and disclosure policy.
I think one of the best feelings in the world is when comfort food magically prepares itself for me in the crockpot. This tom kha gai inspired soup does just that. It’s really like doing all of about 5 minutes of work and being rewarded for 3 hours worth. And take it from me, it’s the best feeling ever!!
The crockpot is my buddy. It lets me use it in anyway I find suitable. All it asks for is fresh ingredients to fill it’s belly with. It’s selfless, I tell you!
So when I want to brew up a batch of delicious Thai chicken and coconut soup while sitting on the couch and binging on episodes of Prison Break, I use the crockpot. I can do that.
I know, 10 years too late (I’m always late when it comes to this stuff). But I’m hooked!
If you want a bowl of sweet, tanginess, a little spice, with bits of chicken (firm tofu is fab, too) and slurps of noodles, this is the soup for you! I can’t decide whether I want a spoon or a fork with this thing. I switch back and forth. There’s just so much to enjoy. This is a very and I mean very loose interpretation of a Tom Kha Gai soup (combined with my own personal favorite = red Thai curry paste). The results are F.A.N.T.A.B.U.L.O.U.S. That’s not a word, perfectly aware of that!
Here’s the thing. You can probably make this soup with one hand tied behind your back, and hopping on your left leg. Chop, pour, boil pasta, and eat delicious soup forever. That’s the way all perfect evenings should end.
- 3 tablespoons Thai red curry paste (or more depending on spice preference)
- 2 cans (27 oz. total) Coconut milk
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 red pepper, large diced
- 1/2 onion, large diced
- 10 button mushrooms, sliced
- 12 - 14 oz. chicken chunks cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- Zest of 1 lime
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2-inch ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 bunch cilantro (leaves + stems)
- chopped cilantro, handful mung bean sprouts, fresh basil leaves, 8 oz rice vermicelli, cooked according to package directions
- Start by blending 1 can of the coconut milk, red curry paste, brown sugar, grated ginger, minced garlic, cilantro leaves + stems, lime juice, fish sauce, and soy sauce in a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Pour into crockpot along with second can of coconut milk, chicken/vegetable stock, lime zest, chicken pieces. Let cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours. When 20 (40 on low setting) minutes remain, add the onions, red bell peppers, and button mushrooms.
- To serve: Place desired amount of vermicelli in bowl, pour soup on top and serve with fresh cilantro leaves, mung bean sprouts and torn basil leaves.
We are a participant in both the RewardStyle and Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, which are affiliate advertising programs designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com and through RewardStyle.