Coconut Almond Energy Bites
This post may contain affiliate links. Please check our privacy and disclosure policy.
5 ingredient energy bites loaded with a sweet and salty flavor from shredded coconut, dates, crunchy almonds, and a hint of sea salt. These are the perfect healthy snack as they contain NO refined sugars!
Little nuggets chockfull of roasted almonds, shredded coconut, and chewy dates, these energy bites have me going a little gaga right now.
If you’re a sucker for salty and sweet treats then these little healthy dessert option/mid-day poppable snacks are totally going to be your new thing. And the best part? Talk about the ideal road trip snack that’s perfect to munch on and will keep you going without a sugar crash, is healthy, and i’ll admit, it’s totally addicting.
A couple of months ago I discovered the most deliciously nutty, salty, and sweet snack from Costco called Cashew Clusters. Have you tried them? OHMG, just go! Go now and grab a bag. They’re loaded with, obvi cashews, pumpkin seeds, they’re sweet and crunchy and they have a nice healthy pinch of salt to give it that over-the-edge addicting quality. Not gonna lie, I tore the bag open right after I got in the car and popped one in and immediately, before I was even done munching on the first piece, like a greedy squirrel, I popped in a second and I was floating around somewhere in nutty-heaven. And 15 seconds after that I called Anees to tell him about it, um… yeah, I get that excited about healthy snacks.
They’re a regular at our place now. I think we polished off half the bag in the first couple days. I love little poppable, munchable snacks that fit right into the palm of your hand and these little energy bites totally fit the bill.
Did I mention they’re also perfect for when you need a quick two-bite dessert but
don’t want to can’t afford to splurge on cookies? I kinda, sorta, almost didn’t even miss the cookie after eating these. And they double up as perfect snacks for the kiddos because 1.) NO REFINED SUGARS and 2.) They won’t be able to tell they’re healthy. ? ??
Let’s talk energy bites.
5 ingredients folks. That’s it! Count ’em – dates, shredded unsweetened toasted coconut, sea salt, almonds (or any nuts that you like, like peanuts or cashews) and almond butter. That’s it.
- We’re not using any added sugars.
- TEAM SWEET & SALTY. We’re totally on that team, are you?
- The dates sweeten up these energy bites to the perfect sweetness and give them the right texture to bind it all together.
- The toasted coconut adds a nice, naturally sweet texture
- Nuts – use salted or unsalted or use a combination of your favorites. I used almonds because they are my favorite but cashews and peanuts would also work well.
- Nut butter – I used almond butter to go with my whole almond theme but again, replace it with peanut butter if you like, these energy bites are totally customizable.
- Extra add-ins – chia seeds, hemp seeds, flax seeds. Make them extra extra healthy by loading up on good-for-you seeds. Not only do they add more nutrition, they also bring tones of TEXTURE too.
- I like to roll my energy bites around in shredded coconut but you could use almond meal or even be a little bad and dip them in melted dark chocolate or white chocolate.
How perfect are these for traveling with too? No need to wait around for your teeny tiny packet of peanuts when you’re flying, pop a few energy bites into an airtight container and you’re good to go. ☀️☀️
- 20 Medjool dates, pitted
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup dry roasted unsalted almonds (or peanuts or cashews)
- 1 cup unsweetened, shredded coconut (see notes)
- 2 tablespoons almond butter (or peanut butter)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- OPTIONAL: chia seeds, hemp seeds, flax meal
- Soak the dates in a bowl with hot water and allow to soften for just a few minutes. Remove the dates from the water and wipe them with a kitchen towel.
- Pulse 1/2 cup of almonds in a food processor if you want the energy bites to have a smooth texture and 3/4 cup of almonds if you want a more crunchy texture. You want them to break down into smaller pieces. If you used 3/4 cup of almonds, remove 3 tablespoons of pulsed almonds to a bowl, set aside.
- Add the 1/2 cup of shredded coconut, almond butter, sea salt, and any optional seeds, along with the dates to the food processor and continue to pulse until a soft dough ball forms. Taste and add additional salt to taste. Remove the dough ball to a bowl and add the reserved 3 tablespoons of pulsed almonds (if using). Roll the dough into small balls - you'll get about 12-16 pieces. Then roll the energy balls in the remaining 1/2 cup of shredded coconut. Place on a baking sheet and allow to harden in the refrigerator or freezer. Transfer to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator or freezer.
- The first time I made these I used toasted coconut but left it untoasted the second time around, either will work but I did slightly prefer the toasted version more.
- You can also roll the energy bites in melted dark chocolate, white chocolate, finely chopped pistachios, peanuts, or even almonds meal.
IS THIS A GOOD CHOICE FOR YOU?
Nutritional information is for 16 bites.
We are a participant in both the RewardStyle and Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, which are affiliate advertising programs designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com and through RewardStyle.