Cheesy Zucchini Yellow Squash Casserole
Zucchini and yellow summer squash get together in this cheesy casserole just in time for Thanksgiving! This vegetarian friendly casserole has so much flavor it’s anything but boring! Sautéed onions, garlic, sour cream, and crackers give this casserole an amazing flavor + crunch!
I have a really good feeling that you’re going to like this.
One of my most favorite/repeat Thanksgiving sides year after year involves this cheesy zucchini yellow squash casserole. I
probably most definitely, single handedly, polish off at least 1/2 of this dish. May I repeat: cheesy, buttery, golden delicious, cracker topped, zucchini yellow squash casserole.
It’s a little bit of a flavor explosion right on your Thanksgiving plate. You’ve got your turkey, a little salad, some kind of sweet potato + marshmallow deal and this. IT’S SO GOOD that you’ll go back for a second, and a third, and even a fourth, which may cut back on your dessert quota for the day, but hey, did I mention there’s cheese involved?
- This casserole is a staple at our Thanksgiving table. In fact, I would go so far as to say that THIS is the star of T-day. Yes, I know that the big bird is usually what it’s all about.
- This recipe takes about 45 minutes total and it’s super duper easy to make. It requires a quick 20 minutes in the oven so it won’t be tying up your oven for very long, which is super important if you’ve got to have 6 things that need time to bake and 1 oven to do it in. And it bakes at 350 degrees F which is awesome sauce because that means cookies and cupcakes and everything else can go in at the same time and come out together too.
- Parmesan cheese. Cheddar cheese. Sour cream – that’s 3 perfectly good reasons why this zucchini yellow squash casserole needs to get on the table this year.
- You can do a lot of the prep work ahead of time and just combine a few ingredients and bake the day of! Which means less time in the kitchen and more time with your casserole. Those buttery, CRUSHED CRACKERS. My favorite part. They get all nice and toasty like something magical. And just like that you’re the star chef at the table.
A quickidy quick toss for all the ingredients to get together and into the oven it goes.
Even though the zucchini and the summer squash are the expected superstars in this recipe, it’s the ritz cracker crunch that takes this casserole over the top. It’s honestly good food karma – the squashes being the healthy things and then cheese comes to you because you used healthy things like zucchini. Honestly though, if you’re not even a fan of zucc i’m going to tell you, you still need this casserole in your life. Let the cheese, sour cream, and crackers be your motivating factor. ♥
Go get your casserole on!
Cheesy Zucchini Yellow Squash Casserole
Zucchini and yellow summer squash get together in this cheesy casserole just in time for Thanksgiving! This vegetarian friendly casserole has so much flavor it's anything but boring! Sautéed onions, garlic, sour cream, and crackers give this casserole an amazing flavor + crunch!
- 2 zucchini squashes, cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
- 2 yellow summer squashes, cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
- 5 tablespoons salted butter
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- 1 1/2 sleeves crushed up crackers, such as Ritz
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9x13 casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray, set aside.
- Heat a large skillet on medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of of butter with 1 teaspoon of olive oil and sauté the zucchini squash about 4 minutes, turning half way in between. You want the squash to get nice and brown and not wilted so don't overcrowd the pan. Remove the zucchini to a large bowl. Repeat with the summer squash sautéing in batches until all the squash has been cooked.
- Add 1 tablespoon of butter and 1 teaspoon of olive oil to the same skillet and sauté the onions until they turn translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Add onions to the same bowl as the zucchini.
- Add 2 tablespoons of butter and 1 teaspoon of olive oil to the same skillet and sauté the crushed crackers for 1-2 minutes or until they start to get golden brown. Add 1/2 of the crackers to the bowl with the zucchini, yellow squash, and onions.
- Add the salt, pepper, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, parmesan cheese, sour cream, and cheddar cheese to the bowl and using a spatula stir to combine. Dump the mixture into the prepared dish and sprinkle the remaining cracker crumbs evenly on top. Bake for 20 minutes or until the top is golden.
Oh yeah, I’d be all over this! I adore zucchini/squash casseroles. YUM!
Yesss this was AWESOME!!! Will make it again because I love these 2 veggies!!!