Buffalo Chicken Sliders with Ranch Blue Cheese Slaw
Easy Buffalo Chicken Sliders made with cooked shredded chicken and a bag of coleslaw mix! They are quick to make – perfect if you’re watching football or hosting the big game!
Are you team football or just team football food?
I’m definitely the latter.
I mean, I’ll happily make the food. Just call me Monica; I’ve got the wings, sandwiches, all the other football-associated appetizer, and dips you can think of!
One of the reasons I love making buffalo chicken sliders is that they are no fuss – and they taste so good! You slice the buns in half, load them up with rotisserie chicken tossed in a bit of melted butter, buffalo sauce, and then you load up the bottom half of the Hawaiian sweet rolls with shredded cheddar to create a barrier so the buns don’t get soft. Pop on the buffalo chicken mixture and bake these rolls brushed with homemade ranch garlic butter. While all that’s happening, we make a quick coleslaw spiked with ranch seasoning and tons of crumbled blue cheese.
Serious question. What is buffalo chicken anything without a spot of ranch and a crumble of bleu cheese?
And also, aren’t these just perfect for game day?
Ingredients for buffalo chicken sliders:
- Rolls: You can use brioche, Hawaiian rolls or any other dinner rolls for this recipe. My local grocery store sells jalapeño slider buns that would be delicious here as well. Basically, use any slider buns you’d like!
- Hot sauce: I like to use this hot sauce for these rolls. It’s spicy but not over the top. Plus, we’re only using ⅓ cup so these rolls are not over the top hot! If you’d like to make them spicier, the same brand sells an extra hot version of the buffalo wing sauce that would work well. Or you could just add a sprinkle of cayenne pepper instead!
- Shredded Chicken: I usually make a batch of chicken in my instant pot and use that but in a pinch (or if you’re cooking for a crowd) you can easily use rotisserie chicken from the grocery store!
- Cheese: I like to use sharp cheddar for this recipe and I usually buy the kind that is thick cut! It melts beautifully for these sliders. You could also use pepper jack or Colby Jack if you aren’t a fan of cheddar cheese!
- Butter: We’ll use the butter in two ways. The first is to toss the shredded chicken in. And also to make a garlic butter that we’ll brush on the buns before baking.
- Seasonings: I use a bit of sugar, horseraasih, celery salt, and ranch seasoning. The ranch seasoning is sold in packets in the same aisle as ranch dressing. We’ll add a bit to the garlic butter and then use the rest in the ranch blue cheese slaw we’re making.
- Mayonnaise: Is the base of the blue cheese slaw.
- Buttermilk: A tablespoon adds just the right amount of tang and thins out the mayo!
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Adds the signature zing to the slaw.
- Veggies: I like to use shredded carrots and finely chopped celery in my slaw. You’ll also need about a ½ a bag of shredded coleslaw mix.
- Blue Cheese: Crumbled blue cheese honestly adds the best flavor to the slaw!
How to make a buffalo chicken slider recipe:
- Prep everything. Start by position a rack in the center of the oven. On a clean surface you’ll want to cut the rolls in half. Run the knife parallel to the cutting board, carefully slice through the buns to create a top and a bottom. A serrated knife helps get the job done more efficiently. You’ll want the buns to stay attached to each other because this will make it much easier to top and bake them!
- Make buffalo chicken. Add the hot sauce and two tablespoons of butter to a medium bowl and zap this in the microwave until the butter melts. Then stir in the shredded chicken, set this aside for now.
- Garlic butter. In a bowl, combine the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter, parsley, and garlic. Zap this in the microwave until the butter melts. Then sprinkle in a teaspoon of ranch seasoning; set aside for now.
- Assemble the sliders. Carefully lift the bottom half of the rolls and place them on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with shredded cheese, top with the shredded chicken mixture, followed by the tops of the rolls. I like to use a fish turner to help aid in lifting the rolls so that they all stay intact. Brush the garlic butter on the rolls. Bake this in a warm oven until you have melty cheese and the buns are nice and golden.
- Slaw time. While the chick sandwich is in the oven, we’ll toss together the slaw. Add the mayo, buttermilk, ranch seasoning, sugar, apple cider vinegar, horseradish, and celery salt in a bowl and whisk to combine. Add the shredded carrots, celery, and coleslaw mix and toss. I like to leave the coleslaw a little less dressed so that it doesn’t make the buns completely soggy. But if you’re anticipating leftovers, you may not want to serve all the sliders dressed.
- Serve. When the sliders are hot from the oven, carefully remove the top of the buns with a fish turner, top with the prepared slaw, cover and cut into pieces. Serve immediately!
FAQs about buffalo chicken sandwiches:
- Can you serve these with a dipping sauce? Yes, though the sliders are pretty saucy to begin with, you can serve them with a sauce. I would serve blue cheese dressing or ranch dressing so that it complements the existing flavors.
- How do you store leftovers? If I’m anticipating leftovers, I usually only top the sliders that will get consumed. If you’re serving these at a party, you can keep the slaw on the side and let everyone top their own. That way leftovers can be reheated easily.
- What do you serve along side chicken sliders for a football party? I would definitely put out some carrot sticks and celery sticks with these. They are perfect for cleaning up the plate and work beautifully with the blue cheese and ranch slaw! And no one would be mad at a batch of wings with these!
If you like this recipe, you might also like:
- Garlic Parmesan Wings
- Sheet Pan BBQ Chicken Nachos
- Lemon Pepper Wings
- Easy Philly Cheese Steak Dip
- The BEST Queso
Buffalo Chicken Sliders with Ranch Blue Cheese Slaw
Easy Buffalo Chicken Sliders made with cooked shredded chicken and a bag of coleslaw mix! They are quick to make – perfect if you're watching football or hosting the big game!
Buffalo Chicken Sliders
- 12 count sweet Hawaiian rolls (or brioche rolls)
- ⅓ cup hot sauce (such as Frank’s)
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 1 ½ cups shredded sharp cheddar (or Colby Jack, etc.)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 teaspoon EACH: parsley AND ranch seasoning
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
Ranch Blue Cheese Slaw
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon EACH: buttermilk AND ranch seasoning
- 2 teaspoons sugar AND apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon horseradish
- ½ teaspoon celery salt
- ¼ cup EACH: shredded carrots AND finely chopped celery
- ½ (14.5 ounce) bag shredded coleslaw mix
- ½ cup crumbled blue cheese (or use more to preference)
- PREP: Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350ºF. Slice the rolls in half running the knife parallel to the cutting board. Make sure to keep them connected so it’s easier to assemble them.
- SHREDDED CHICKEN: In a medium bowl, add 2 tablespoons of butter and hot sauce. Zap in the microwave for 30-45 seconds or until the butter melts. Add shredded chicken and stir to combine; set aside for now.
- GARLIC BUTTER: In a small bowl, add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter, parsley, and minced garlic. Zap this in the microwave for 20-30 seconds or until it melts, stir in 1 teaspoon of ranch seasoning; set aside.
- ASSEMBLE AND BAKE: Carefully place the bottom half of the rolls on a baking sheet; keep them attached! Top with cheese, then add the buffalo chicken mixture on top. The cheese acts as a barrier to keep the bread from getting soggy! Place the top of the rolls on the chicken. Brush with the prepared garlic butter. Bake the rolls for 12-17 minutes or until the cheese melts and the tops of the rolls are golden.
- SLAW: During the last 5 minutes of cooking time, whisk together the mayonnaise, buttermilk, ranch, sugar, apple cider, horseradish, and celery salt in a bowl until mixed. Toss with the carrots and shredded cabbage. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired. Add the blue cheese and stir to combine.
- SERVE: Remove the top half of the buns, I like to use a fish turner or a large spatula to aid. Then pile on the slaw. Top with the bun, slice, and serve.
- Chicken: You can swap the cooked shredded chicken for a rotisserie chicken to make these even quicker to put together.