Balsamic Chicken with Mushrooms and Thyme
This post may contain affiliate links. Please check our privacy and disclosure policy.
Roasted balsamic chicken with sautéed mushrooms and thyme. This healthy chicken recipe is out of this world! Easy to prepare and totally weeknight friendly.
I’m getting all healthy on you today.
Healthy, but tasty. We’re making a super simple balsamic chicken and mushroom recipe that’s fancy enough for a dinner party and yet simple enough to pull together on a weeknight. I just love having little tricks like this quick chicken dinner up my sleeve.
It should come as no surprise when I tell you that I go to the grocery store A LOT.
You guys know that, right? I have a really forgetful brain, which is partially my fault because at all times i’m thinking about recipes that I want to try out for you guys and coming up with ways to stick chocolate into EVERYTHING. I keep handwritten lists. I know. I live on the edge. My husband is cringing if he’s reading this. He’s still trying to convince me that the notepad on the phone is the way to go. I need the satisfaction of crossing things off and THAT can only be achieved with pen and paper.
I’ll keep the list on my desk and NOT walk into the office before I head out the door. DO-UH! I’ll remember when i’m halfway to the grocery store (which is 3 minutes away, total) and be too lazy to drive back up to the third-floor, walk down 2 long hallways to make it to my door. So not worth it, right? Right. No, i’ll get to the store and try to recall what was on that list. Aye yai yai. FAIL.
And that is why I need more recipes like this balsamic chicken which uses mostly pantry staples to bring together a quick, hearty, and healthy meal. This recipe is for days when you forget the grocery list too and you just can’t gather the strength to walk up and down the aisle trying to recall everything on that list. Because you know we ALL have those days.
For the chicken, just heat the oil and a wee bit of butter together in a pan. Butter because there’s magic when sizzling butter and chicken rendezvous in a pan. Season the chicken well on both sides as you’re cooking. Once the chicken gets a nice browning on both sides, remove it to an oven-safe dish and let it cook through in the oven while you prepare the mushroom and balsamic reduction.
Onions, mushrooms, and a bit of roasted garlic bring so much flavor to the balsamic reduction. Though, you can definitely replace the roasted garlic with a couple cloves of raw garlic, I just love the way the roasted garlic and balsamic vinegar taste. Light and sweet without needing a breath mint to talk to your dinner neighbor.
This roasted balsamic chicken with mushrooms is a million and one flavors in one nicely put together dinner package. There are so many ways to serve this up. The hubby and I enjoyed ours on a big bed of salad but you could serve this with rice pilaf or a garlic butter pasta?
We’re looking at just over 300 calories, and 39 grams of protein per servings. <- That’s a pretty good nutrition packed punch, I’d say. And all it took was about 30 minutes and kitchen staples.
I likey dinners like that, don’t you?
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (I used 2 large ones cut in half)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped onions
- 2 cups cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cloves roasted garlic, smashed (or 2 cloves raw)
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon chopped thyme, fresh
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped chives (or parsley)
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350ºF. Heat the butter and olive oil on medium-high heat in a skillet. Add the chicken breasts season each side with salt and pepper and cook 3 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to an oven-safe baking dish and bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes or until the juice run clear.
- When 10 minutes of baking time remain, prepare the balsamic mushrooms. Heat the same skillet used to brown the chicken over medium-high heat. Add the onions and mushrooms. Saute for 1 minute before adding in the roasted garlic; cook for an additional minute. Add the balsamic vinegar, red pepper flakes, and chopped thyme. Heat the balsamic vinegar through for 1 minute then add in 1/2 cup of water. Continue to cook until the liquid reduces to about half. Adjust the seasonings to taste. Serve warm with chopped chives or parsley.
- Please note that the cooking time may vary slightly due to the thickness of chicken. Make sure juice run clear from the chicken.
- This recipe and other great recipes like it can be found in the Eat Right For Your Sight Cookbook
Post may contain affiliate links.
We are a participant in both the RewardStyle and Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, which are affiliate advertising programs designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com and through RewardStyle.