Bakery-Style Chocolate Chip Muffins
This post may contain affiliate links. Please check our privacy and disclosure policy.
A lighter chocolate chip muffin that tastes just like your favorite bakery — the only difference is, it’s healthier! Made with greek yogurt and coconut oil. Not only are they healthy, they’re quick and easy to make too!
What is a chocolate chip muffin without the chocolate chips? Um bread? Or something like that.
After a weekend filled with craziness, my Monday morning needs a big cup of coffee and a jumbo bakery-style chocolate chip muffin studded with teeny tiny chocolate chips because someone (points to self) is greedy and wants a bit of chocolate in every.single.bite.
Today’s muffin recipe is one that i’ve used over and over again. Remember when I made us those super tender raspberry muffins with a hint of lemon zest? Well it’s that same recipe just tweaked a bit to make it perfect for these bakery-style chocolate chip muffins with just a hint of cinnamon to give it that out-of-this-universe flavor.
And yes friends, it’s totally waistline friendly.
Coconut oil is quickly becoming a big staple in most of my baking these days. I love the the use of an ingredient that’s cholesterol-free and gives baked goods that same light and airy texture that butter would. And sometimes (read: a lot of times), it actually makes baked goods taste better than butter would. Sorry old friend.
Did I mention there’s greek yogurt in these muffins too? It’s one of my favorite ingredients to use in baked goods. Love how it keeps things on the lighter side (take that calories! ????????) while making the baked product tender, moist, flakey, and of course, delicious. And if you’ve got sour cream on hand that you need to get rid of, add it right into these babies. I’ve tested the recipe with one or the other (and half and half) and every time, they come out beautifully!
Wanna know my favorite part about these muffins? NO MIXER NEEDED. Yes! I’m sorry, am I the only food blogger out there that HATES busting out the hand/stand mixer? Probably. But I mean, isn’t it soooo much easier to wash 2 bowls and a spatula vs. a metal bowl and beaters? Probably not in reality, but in this brain on mine, it’s sooo much easier.
What else is great –> these chocolate chip muffins freeze well! So make a big batch and freeze half, unless the muffins run off on their own like mine did. I made a dozen of these and planned on freezing half. We ran through them so fast I didn’t even have a chance to tuck some away. So you can count on another batch being made this week for quick breakfasts later in the month.
Happy Monday, guys!
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon EACH: baking soda AND kosher salt
- ½ -1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (depending on preference)
- ½ cup EACH: granulated sugar, brown sugar, AND coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup greek yogurt (or sour cream)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- turbinado sugar, for sprinkling
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 425ºF. Spray a muffin pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and half the chocolate chips. Whisk and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine granulated sugar, brown sugar, coconut oil, greek yogurt, eggs, and vanilla extract. Continue to whisk until the sugar dissolves. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and fold until *JUST* combined. Do not overmix. Fold in the remaining chocolate chips.
- Divide the muffin batter into the muffin pans. Sprinkle with turbinado sugar if desired. Bake for 5 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 375ºF and continue to bake for an additional 10-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the muffins comes out mostly clean with a few crumbs. Let muffins cool completely in the pan for 10 minutes before moving to cooling rack. Muffins are extremely moist. Do not try to remove from pan right away.
Recipe slightly adapted from Super-Moist Lemon Raspberry Muffins.
LOVE THIS RECIPE? KEEP IN TOUCH AND DON’T MISS OUT ON ANY OF LITTLE SPICE JARS RECIPES!
HAVE YOU TRIED ONE OF MY RECIPES? I’D LOVE TO SEE WHAT YOU’VE MADE! TAKE A PICTURE AND USE THE HASHTAG #LITTLESPICEJAR ON INSTAGRAM SO I CAN SEE! ALSO, I’M ON SNAPCHAT – USERNAME: LITTLESPICEJAR.
We are a participant in both the RewardStyle and Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, which are affiliate advertising programs designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com and through RewardStyle.