APPLE CIDER CARAMEL SAUCE
Apple cider in a caramel sauce, it’s the perfect fall treat! This caramel sauce is perfect as a dip for apple slices, on top of pancakes, drizzle for cinnamon french toast, or as a filling for cinnamon rolls. Any way you choose to have this apple cider caramel sauce, it is absolutely delish!
I have been dying to make some delish caramel sauce all. year. long. And it’s finally (!!) the season for both caramel sauce and apple cider. And the only way I can ensure that I get enough of both is to combine the two.
In the words of the famous Uncle Jessie,“Have mmmercyyy” . Things are absolutely about to get sticky, buttery, salty, sweet, and incredibly fall perfect up in here.
What are the benefits of making your own apple cider caramel sauce you ask? Well let me tell you:
1.) The house does this wonderful thing where it smells totally amazeballs because of the sheer amount of delish sugar and cinammon and butter and apple cider that goes into this recipe.
2.) Caramel sauce is available to you 24 hours a day from the time you make it till the time you literally lick the mason jar clean. Yes, it’s that gosh darn good.
3.) It’s the ideal topping for, um lets see, EVERYTHING. Drizzle it on shortbread cookies, a dip for apples, garnish cupcakes, pumpkin spice lattes, and even as sauce for your cinnamon french toast or buttermilk pancakes!
This recipe is really quite simple and requires only a few ingredients. There is no need for a fancy schmany candy thermometer or anything else. All you need other than the ingredients is a spatula or spoon and a small saucepan. It takes about 15 minutes to make the recipe itself but make sure to allow enough time for cooling. The sauce will look just a littttttle thin when you’re done cooking it, but worry not, it will thicken while it cools.
And the most important reason why you need to make this: It’s literally like taking the liquid form of a caramel apple and drizzling it over your breakfast (pancakes, french toast, cinnamon rolls) or your dessert (cupcakes, cookies, apples). Who wouldn’t like that?
And Oh My G, how did I not think of this earlier – this apple cider caramel sauce would be amazing drizzled on popcorn too!
- 2 cups apple cider
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 5 tablespoons SALTED butter
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch sea salt
- Add the apple cider to a medium sauce pan over medium-high heat and bring to boil. Allow the apple cider to cook down to about 1/3 cup. Reduce the heat and add the brown sugar, butter, heavy cream, and cinnamon and increase the heat back to medium-high heat. Continue to cook for 10-15 minutes until the caramel thickens and starts to become dark in color. Remove from heat, add the vanilla and the pinch of sea salt; stir to combine. Set aside to cool, the caramel sauce will thicken a little once it cools.