Tender garlic and citrus chicken with roasted brussel sprouts and sweet potatoes – ALL on one sheet pan! A perfect main dish with 2 sides all in under ONE HOUR and just ONE pan to clean!
Calling all ONE SHEET PAN DINNER LOVERS!
It’s time for another recipe! How about a warm and cozy citrus chicken recipe made with fresh lemons, oranges, and limes right when citrus fruit is at it’s best?
You know that one sheet pan meals been one of my favorite things to create for you guys! Two sides and a main entree all prepared on the same sheet pan in under one hour. It’s magic I tell you!
I am in love with these things. Did you have a chance to make my one sheet pan rosemary chicken? It was the bomb dot com if I do say so myself.
I’m willing to bet that you’ll be making this recipe a lot because 1.) it’s pretty healthy 2.) comes with sides that bake on the same pan 3.) and that chicken! So tender and, forgive me for using this word, MOIST! I baked a few thighs and drumsticks along with a bone-in chicken breast just to make sure that this recipe would work with both dark/light meat. Because i’m starting to think that I may be the only dark meat hater on the planet. Helllllo, anyone else out there? It’s getting kinda lonely!
Many of you swapped the chicken breasts for thighs/drumsticks on the last recipe and I wanted to make sure the cooking time stayed the same for both. And oh my gosh! They were both falling apart tender.
The best part about this recipe, YOU DON’T HAVE TO BABYSIT. It will prepare itself for you. No need to stop half way through and flip ingredients. Just pop it in, and let the oven to it’s thang. How perfect is that for crazy weeknights when there’s just no time for all this babysitting nonsense?
I decided to use brussel sprouts for this recipe because they pair so beautifully with all the citrus fruit juices that are going into this garlic and citrus chicken recipe. And, they stand up to the longer 30 minute cooking time. 😉 So there’s no need to go add or remove ingredients.
The sweet potatoes in this recipe can be swapped with regular baby red potatoes halves and diced yukon gold potatoes too if that’s what you have on hand. I decided to use sweet potatoes because of their natural sweetness and how they pair so well with orange zest, making this a winner winner — you know the rest. Be sure to dice the sweet potatoes smaller than a 1 inch dice. If you leave them too big, you’ll need to remove the chicken and brussel sprouts and continue baking for an additional 5-10 minutes.
You can marinate the chicken from 20 minutes – 24 hours –> which makes it the perfect Monday night dinner. Because hello, we all have our acts together on Sunday and we prep our dinners for the week, don’t we? But in case you’re like me, falling flat on your face 20 minutes before dinner needs to be made, scrambling to find something that isn’t labor intense — I’ve got you covered! Let this garlic citrus chicken marinate while the oven preheats and while you chop your veggies. One hour start to finish. But if you prep ahead, it’s a 30 minute meal.
This was a big hit with the two of us. Me? because it was easy to prep and the chicken was PHENOMENAL. Husband loved it because — dark meat chicken and easy clean up.
See. When you make a one sheet pan dinner recipe, everybody wins!
- 6-8 chicken pieces (thighs, breasts, drumsticks, whatever you like)
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest + 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons orange zest + 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon lime zest + 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons sugar (brown, white, agave, honey)
- ½ -1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 lb. brussel sprouts, cut in half
- 1 lb. sweet potatoes, cut smaller than 1 inch dice*
- Postion a rack near the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 425ºF. You can line a sturdy baking sheet with heavy duty foil for easier clean up.
- Combine all the zests, juices, garlic, sugar, red pepper flakes, salt,pepper, and 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a medium bowl. Stir until the sugar dissolves. Place the chicken pieces in a gallon sized zip-top bag. Add the marinade to the bag, zip, and give it a good toss. Allow the chicken to marinate for 20 minutes while the oven preheats.
- Combine the brussel sprouts and sweet potatoes on the sheet pan, drizzle the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil along with some salt and pepper. Toss to coat the veggies evenly. Spread the veggies out to create a border, place the chicken pieces in the center of the sheet pan and drizzle half of the marinade over the chicken. I used a spoon and drizzled some over the vegetable pieces too. Discard remaining liquid. You can add lemon and orange slices on top if you’d like for a more citrus scent/flavor, however this is optional.
- Bake the citrus chicken for 25-30 minutes or until the internal temperature registers at 165ºF. If the chicken starts browning too quickly, during roasting, cover the tray loosely with a piece of foil.
LOVE THIS RECIPE? KEEP IN TOUCH AND DON’T MISS OUT ON ANY OF LITTLE SPICE JARS RECIPES!
HAVE YOU TRIED ONE OF MY RECIPES? I’D LOVE TO SEE WHAT YOU’VE MADE! TAKE A PICTURE AND USE THE HASHTAG #LITTLESPICEJAR ON INSTAGRAM SO I CAN SEE! ALSO, I’M ON SNAPCHAT – USERNAME: LITTLESPICEJAR.
IF YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE, YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:
One Sheet Pan Roasted Za’atar Chicken and Potatoes