My hot chocolate for two recipe is one that we make all the time! It has just five simple ingredients and makes the perfect amount for two! You’re going to love it!
And we’re back!
How were the holidays for you? Did you have a nice New Year’s Eve? We grabbed pizza with some friends and had initially planned to watch fireworks in the town center, but when we saw the crowd, everyone unanimously agreed to we detour back to our place. We enjoyed warm drinks and my favorite Costco cake that I almost always have tucked away in the freezer – this is NYE in your 30s, and I am completely okay with this.
We’ve had the gloomiest first couple days of 2019, and for me, that makes hot chocolate, warm blankets, and Netflix. So today, I’m sharing a small batch of hot chocolate. It makes the perfect amount for two people, and it is so deliciously chocolatey.
I shared a slow cooker hot chocolate bar idea with you in the past, and so many of you have made it and loved it. With the new Pinterest feature where you can attach an image, it’s so refreshing to see how you’ve taken the basic idea and made it your own. This got me thinking, why are we only making hot chocolate for a group, why not share my small batch hot chocolate recipe with you too?
I’ve been making my stove top hot chocolate for some years now. I’m the kind of person that always goes on the hunt for something sweet right after dinner (and hubby is the same too.) So in the winter time, we always have dinner, hubby cleans up while I throw together a batch of my hot chocolate for two.
It takes less than 10 minutes from start to finish, and it’s our favorite hot chocolate recipe!
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO MAKE HOT CHOCOLATE FOR TWO?
- cocoa powder
- milk or half and half
- vanilla extract
CAN I USE CHOCOLATE CHIPS?
Yes, I’ve tested the recipe with both semi-sweet chocolate chips and chopped chocolate, both work equally well here.
WHAT KIND OF CHOCOLATE DO I NEED TO MAKE HOT CHOCOLATE FOR TWO?
I like to use semi-sweet chocolate for my hot chocolate recipe. However, you can also use bittersweet or milk chocolate. Bittersweet chocolate will yield a less sweet hot chocolate, but you can add more sugar to taste if you’d like. Milk chocolate will make this hot chocolate super sweet, so if that’s you’re thing, you will be fine! If you decide to use milk chocolate I do advise that you taste it first before adding in any sugar; chances are you won’t need it.
TOOLS YOU’LL NEED TO MAKE HOT CHOCOLATE
HOW TO MAKE HOT CHOCOLATE FOR TWO:
- Whisk the cocoa powder and water together in a saucepan.
- pour in the milk and let it heat up until it starts steaming
- add the chocolate and allow it to sit for 30 seconds before whisking
- taste and add sugar
- heat to the desired temperature; turn off the heat add salt and vanilla
WAYS YOU CAN JAZZ UP THIS HOT CHOCOLATE RECIPE:
- peppermint hot chocolate: add a 1/2 teaspoon (or more) of peppermint extract
- mocha hot chocolate: add 1/2 – 1 teaspoon of instant espresso powder while the milk is steaming
- truffle hot chocolate: replace the chocolate chips with 4-8 chocolate truffles!
- malted hot chocolate: add in a handful of malt chocolate candy!
- salted caramel hot chocolate: replace the sugar with homemade salted caramel
BEST HOT CHOCOLATE TOPPINGS:
- whipped cream
- try different flavors like vanilla or raspberry!
- chocolate syrup
CAN YOU DOUBLE THE RECIPE AND MAKE HOT CHOCOLATE FOR FOUR?
YES! Absolutely! This is our go to recipe that I’ve been making for years, and it works great if you want to make hot chocolate for two, four, or even six!
I hope you’ll give my stove top hot chocolate recipe a try and I hope it keeps you warm and cozy all winter long!
Hot Chocolate For Two
My hot chocolate for two recipe is one that we make all the time! It has just 5 simple ingredients and makes the perfect amount for two! You’re going to love it!
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder + 3 tablespoons water
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk or half and half
- 1/3 cup (2 1/2 ounces) semi sweet chocolate (chopped or chips)
- 1-3 tablespoons sugar (more or less to taste)
- 1/8- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- SIMMER: combine the cocoa powder and water in a saucepan and whisk. Pour in the milk and heat it over medium-high heat until the milk starts to steam but doesn’t reach a boil.
- FINISH: Lower the heat too low, and add the chocolate. Let sit for 30 seconds, then use a whisk to combine. Add 1 tablespoon of sugar, taste and adjust with additional sugar as desired. Add 1/8 teaspoon salt, taste and adjust with additional salt as desired, we usually go with 1/4 teaspoon as we prefer a less sweet hot chocolate. Continue to heat on low if it needs to be hotter but make sure that it doesn’t boil! Turn off the heat, stir in the vanilla and pour hot chocolate into mugs. Top with whipped cream, marshmallows, or cocoa powder or chocolate syrup if desired!
©. All images & content are the sole property of Little Spice Jar. Please obtain permission prior to using my images. If you would like to republish a recipe, please link back to this post and re-write the instructions in your own words.
Love this recipe?
Have you made this recipe? Take a picture and share it on Instagram using the hashtag #LITTLESPICEJAR. I love seeing your delicious creations!
SHOP THE POST: