A super simple recipe for a homemade peach iced tea that requires just 4 ingredients and is made with simple syrup that’s been infused with real peaches. This is the perfect drink for hot summer days!
I’m thinkin’ ice cooooold sips of southern style sweet peach iced tea with the prettiest peachy color.
Sweet tea is a BIG thing here in the south. Like if you happen to go to a restaurant that doesn’t serve ‘sweet tea’ people would throw a huge fit. I remember a time when Chick-fil-A ran out of sweet iced tea and my coworker literally drove a few miles to a different location to pick some up. That’s some ice tea passion, yo!
I never really understood the hype. Sure, I like a cup of sweet tea once in a while, but everyday, all day? Nah. I mean, i’m all for hot peppermint tea in the winter time and I LOOOOVE (beyond words) iced coffee but iced tea? Really? Nope not my thing. But if there is ONE kind of iced tea that I really like, it’s the peach iced tea they serve at the Olive Garden. Mmm.
And this tastes just like that, only better, in my humble opinion.
What makes my recipe for peach iced tea different from the rest is that, we actually use real peaches. IMAGINE THAT! None of that store bought peach nectar here, please and thank you. And nope none of that ‘peach flavored simple syrup’ where real peaches aren’t even an ingredient!
All we need are 3 simple ingredients for my homemade peach simple syrup. Just peaches, a cup of sugar, and a cup of water. Let the peaches stew in the simple syrup. When the peaches are all nice and soft, I like smashing the them up against the walls of the saucepan to release extra flavor. Then, strain the syrup through a fine mesh strainer and keep it in the refrigerator for up to 5 days and use it as needed.
When i’m making peach iced tea for a party, I love mixing the entire bottle of homemade peach syrup right in with the iced tea, but if i’m making a batch for us, I love keeping them separate and mixing them in as needed <– this way you can add in as little or as much as you want!
Also, wouldn’t this make for a great DIY drinks bar at your next summer bbq? I mean, you could totally make a batch of this peach syrup, a batch of raspberry syrup (made the same way), and a batch of mango syrup have them in bottles and serve lemons and limes and brew a big batch of iced tea to go along with it! That way, your guests can mix and match the flavors and make their own unique iced tea. I’m totally LOVING IT.
Make a big batch of homemade sweet peach iced tea, pour yourself a mason jar full and go do summer. ❤
- HOMEMADE PEACH SIMPLE SYRUP:
- 3 peaches, cut into small chunks or slices
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- ICED TEA:
- 8 cups water
- 5-6 tea bags (depending on your preferred tea strength)
- Place the granulated sugar, water, and peaches in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir the peach mixture as needed until the sugar dissolves. Start smashing the peaches to infuse the simple syrup with the peach flavor.
- Cover the saucepan with a lid and remove from heat. Allow the peaches to sit in the simple syrup and steep for 30-35 minutes. Smash the peaches against the sides of the saucepan to release as much flavor as possible the peaches should be mushy and broken down.
- Strain the simple syrup in a fine mesh strainer and press the peaches against the strainer to release as much flavor as possible. Store the peach simple syrup into a bottle or container. Place in the refrigerator and allow it to cool.
- Bring the water to a boil, remove from heat, add the tea bags, and allow the tea to steep for 4-5 minutes. You can use additional tea bags if you prefer a stronger tea, alternately, you can use less tea bags if you prefer a weaker tea.
- Once brewed, remove tea bags, transfer tea to a pitcher. Refrigerate to cool.
- Serve the peach simple syrup along side the brewed iced tea or add the simple syrup to the tea prior to serving. Serve with lots of ice.