A super filling, plant-based rainbow veggie bowl loaded with pomegranate arils, creamy avocados, sautéed asparagus, pepita seeds, homemade falafels, and the creamiest yogurt tahini dressing. So simple and perfect for packed lunches all week long!
Takin’ a fresh start on Monday with meatless falafel and rainbow veggie bowls!
Okay, i’m sorry. Did I sound a little too happy about Monday? Because that’s totally not how I feel about them. But I DO feel completely the opposite way about this falafel veggie salad that’s decked out with blood oranges, pomegranate arils and a handful of pepita seeds — it’s feel good, look good, ??? food.
?????? Which is completely the opposite of how I ACTUALLY ate this weekend *bows head in shame*. You know the kind of bad (read: good) eating where your body actually feels every bite and kinda makes you feel super lazy, heavy, slightly cross-eyed afterwards, and heartburn shows you who reigns supreme. When a bowl of salad is actually a welcomed sight.
Luckily for me, Monday’s are meant for fresh starts. Get it? HA.
A few weeks ago, I made the most amazing homemade falafels. Loaded with herbs, garlic, and of course chickpeas. And though I would love to eat them stuffed between a naanwich any day of the week, there are days when you know you’ve been/will be super bad and for those days, I wanted to share these veggie bowls loaded with super foods.
Let me just say that these rainbow colored veggie bowls are perfect for packed lunch all week long. You can swap out the veggies/fruits or keep them the same, it’s completely up to you. I’ve enjoyed a quite a few rainbow bowls over the last few weeks and I cannot get over how delicious these really are.
Let’s talk about the ways these are good for you, shall we?
- Falafels – protein packed little nuggets ?? loaded with chickpeas, herbs, onions, and garlic so that they are anything but bland. I’m really trying to curb the amount of animal protein we consume this year, so these are perfect because, I get a plant based meal loaded with fiber and the hubby gets his protein. This marriage thing is all about balance and compromise. ?
- Rainbow Veggies – Okay, so the veggies/fruit are what really make these veggie bowls. I used avocados, baby spinach, and asparagus ?. But if i’ve added something you just don’t like, swap it out for your favorites. I bring home Costco sized bags of asparagus because the hubby and I are both fans, but if you’re not, swap it with snow peas or pretty much anything else that you like! The pomegranate arils and the oranges can also be swapped for summer berries – blueberries and strawberries ?would be delicious.
- Tahini Dressing – creamy and delicious dressing that tastes like hummus. I’ve used a hint of cumin and lots of lemon juice ? and trust me, the falafels are amazing when you drizzle/ dip them in the tahini sauce.
This is a simple veggie super food salad loaded with good for you ingredients, and nothing else. Sure, we added some delicious falafels that make this a next level salad situation, but don’t let the falafels intimidate you. It’s as simple as tossing ingredients in a food processor and blending.
Make your meatless monday a little more amazing with these super power-packed veggie bowls. ??
- TAHINI DRESSING:
- ¼ cup tahini paste
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (or more to taste)
- 3-4 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- OPTIONAL SALAD TOPPINGS:
- 1 recipe [url href=”http://littlespicejar.com/the-best-homemade-falafels/” target=”_blank”]homemade falafels[/url]
- baby spinach
- blood oranges/ navel oranges
- sliced avocados
- pomegranate arils
- pepita seeds
- [b]DRESSING[/b]: Combine the tahini paste, garlic, lemon juice, cumin, and salt and pepper in a bowl. Whisk to combine, then add hot water to help thin so it’s easily pourable.
- [b]VEGGIES:[/b] I sautéed the asparagus in 2 teaspoons of oil with some salt and pepper over medium high heat for 1-2 minutes before adding them to the salad.
- [b]ASSEMBLY:[/b] Arrange desired ingredients in bowl and dress the salad with the tahini dressing.
IS THIS A GOOD CHOICE FOR YOU?
*Please note: the nutritional facts calculated are an estimate based on the ingredients i’ve used. If you’d like a more accurate count, please calculate them using the ingredients/brands you’ve used to prepare the recipe. The nutritional info is for the dressing only, you will need to add the calories from the falafels separately, from here. The serving size for the tahini dressing is 2 tablespoons, serves 4-5.*