CHICKEN TIKKA PIZZA (TANDOORI CHICKEN)
I’m totally into unusual combinations.
When I was seven, my favorite snack in the whole wide world were potato chips dunked in ketchup. French fries dipped in chocolate ice cream came in at a close second. Yeah, I know how I sound. Let me sum it up and say I sound both crazy and ridiculously unhealthy. But please don’t judge me based on that. I know… I’m asking a lot!
Luckily for us all, my food palette has somewhat matured since then. This totally doesn’t mean I’m promising something weird wont show up on the blog in the future!
Experimenting is good. Well sometimes… at least when it comes to food. I’m not talking about the kind of experimenting people tend to do in college. Just exploring when it comes to the food palette.
And that’s exactly what we’re going to do. We’re going to mash two of my favorites into 1 to create the most beautiful baby there is! Chicken Tikka Pizza!
This baby was inspired by, none other than, Tikka Tikka Taco – runner-ups on Great Food Truck Race season 4. Of course, they won that pizza challenge (in my city: Chi town… woot woot)! By the way, I should mention now, the Tikka guys are coming out with a variety of seasonings, soon! I cannot wait to start using them to make some delicious Tikka Tacos! I’ll keep you all posted! Until then… make yourself some of this delish pizza!
Did I mention people would devour these for the BIG GAME?
Combine the mayonnaise, greek yogurt, and tandoori chicken mix. Toss in the cubed chicken and let marinade for 10 minutes. That mayo is gonna make the chicken oh so tend-ah! Sorry these types of things just come out sometimes!
Cook chicken in 2 teaspoons of oil for 5 minutes. Do not overcook, otherwise it’ll be like a brick by the time it comes out of the oven! Don’t eat chicken? No biggie, use firm tofu instead!
Lots of goodies going into the pizza! Once the chicken is cooked, remove to a bowl (along with all the gravy) and add another teaspoon of oil to the pan and sauté the onions for just a few minutes.
What makes this pizza sooo simple is the use of prepackaged biscuit dough as the crust. This pizza is totally weeknight friendly! Use corn meal to roll out 8 personal pizzas.
We’re using tamarind sauce as the base for the pizza. Tamarind sauce has this sweet and tangy bbq sauce like quality to it… so delicious it’ll make your mouth water just from the smell of it! It can be found in almost all international food stores or Pakistani/Indian grocery stores. Your local grocery store may even carry it in the international food aisle.
If you’ve never tried it or don’t think you’ll like it, make extra tikka marinade (add an extra 2 tablespoons of yogurt, 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise and 1 teaspoon tandoori chicken mix to the original marinade)
Use mozzarella fresca or shredded mozzarella, totally up to you. I used a combination of both.
These babies are ready for the oven lovin’. Bake at 375 degrees F for 15-17 minutes and enjoy large bites of this tikka magic!
CHICKEN TIKKA PIZZA (TANDOORI CHICKEN)
Chicken tikka is one of the most popular food from South Asia. Here we use that South Asian favorite and combine it with an American favorite... Pizza! These will be great for the BIG GAME!
- 1 medium boneless chicken breast (cut into 1 inch cubes)
- 1 - 2 tablespoons Tandoori Chicken Mix (depending on spice preference)
- 1 tablespoon Mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons greek yogurt (any fat content - 0%, 1%, or 2%)
- 2 teaspoons + 1 teaspoon oil
- 1/2 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup baby spinach leaves
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese ( I used both shredded and mozzarella fresca)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons - 1/4 cup Tamarind Sauce (see note)
- 1 can Pilsbury Grands Biscuit (I used Homestyle but you could use whatever you have on hand)
- 1/4 cup cornmeal (used in place of flour to roll out dough)
- Place 2 racks near the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, greek yogurt, and tandoori chicken mix. Add the chicken cubes and make sure to coat well. Let chicken marinade for 10 minutes, covered in the refrigerator.
- Heat a skillet with 2 teaspoons of oil. Cook the chicken for 5 minutes. Do not overcook as the chicken will also cook in the oven. Remove the chicken to a bowl along with any gravy, keep warm. In the same skillet, add 1 teaspoon of oil and sauté the onions for 4 - 5 minutes. Remove from heat, keep warm.
- Dust a clean surface with a little bit of cornmeal and be sure to sprinkle some on the biscuit dough before rolling out as well, roll out 1 biscuit dough at a time to about 1/4 - 1/2 inch thickness, depending on preference. Drop a teaspoon of tamarind sauce on dough and spread with the back of a spoon. Spread chicken, a few drops of chicken gravy, sautéed onions, minced garlic, spinach, and mozzarella. Repeat on all of the individual pizzas.
- Bake for 15 - 17 minutes or until crust and cheese start to brown just lightly. Remove from oven and sprinkle with fresh cilantro leaves. Enjoy!
If you've never tried Tamarind sauce or can't find it, make extra tikka marinade for the chicken. Add an extra 2 tablespoons of yogurt, 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise and 1 teaspoon tandoori chicken mix to the original marinade. This along with the other remaining gravy should be enough for the pizzas!
© Copyright. Little Spice Jar