Mashup Macaroni Potato Salad
This post may contain affiliate links. Please check our privacy and disclosure policy.
Macaroni potato salad is my favorite mashup of the two classic salads! I skip the eggs and toss a ton of veggies in a sweet and tangy irresistible sauce. Make this for your next picnic or barbecue party!
Macaroni Potato Salad?
Here’s the deal, guys, i’m so serious about this one. Macaroni Potato Salad. It’s a sweet and tangy, totally irresistible sauce drizzled all over this mashup of a salad that contains everything we love about picnics in general. If there’s one salad i’ll love for the rest of my life, it’s this one. Who even says that, right? BEYOND BASIC. Think macaroni, tender potatoes, crunchy carrots, and spring peas.
To be honest with you, i’ve been having a moment with food lately. As in, I’m not loving cooking it. I’m calling it my Major Food Burnout of 2017. Which makes life just a little bit difficult because there’s this big elephant in the room called my job which, you guessed it, requires me to make food ALL THE TIME. So if you’ve noticed me being a little MIA it’s because i’m just trying to coax myself into loving food again and because I refuse to share something that just isn’t my 100% with you. If it’s not a success for me, i’m not sharing it with you. And while i’m on this total cooking hiatus, I thought well what about VIDEOS? Because surely making videos of food i’ve made a million times is going to be easy, right? Wrong. It’s so so wrong.
But it’s a new challenge that’s rekindling that fire in my heart that I have for food and I just know that i’ll get through this, i’m almost there. And until I do, i’m going to keep making this old family favorite recipe for MACARONI POTATO SALAD and consume it by the boatloads.
Btw! Click here and subscribe to the videos, wouldja? I could totally use the support. ❤️
I know what you’re thinking, potatoes and macaroni in the same salad? Yes, friends, yes!
It’s a true carboholics dream come true and the epitome of every picnic salad ever invented. Macaroni potato salad has this way of tricking you with it’s tangy and slightly sweet dressing that you’ll only realize you’re obsessed with when you’re on your fifteenth serving.
Shine on macaroni potato salad, do your thing.
It starts with some staples, macaroni, diced yukon gold potatoes, chopped celery, onions, and defrosted peas and carrots. I love the crunch that all these veggies bring to the party. And then we drizzle that delicious dressing. It’s a little mayo, a little vinegar, a tablespoon of sugar, dijon mustard and one other special ingredient.
The one ingredient that sets this salad apart? Sweet relish. Have you ever tried adding some to your potato or macaroni salad? It’s a total life changer. Until recently, i’d always chop up pickles and add it in until this one time when we decided to have a very impromptu barbecue with a few neighbors and I volunteered to make the potato salad before consulting with my refrigerator. Which let’s just say ended up being a great thing. Sweet relish went in and my macaroni potato salad game was changed forever.
P.S. friends, please forgive, macaroni potato salad is totally not photogenic food. ?
- 1 lb. potatoes (yukon golds are my fave)
- ½ cup (2.5 ounce) elbow macaroni
- 6 ounces frozen peas & carrots, defrosted
- ½ cup finely chopped red onions
- ½ cup finely chopped celery
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup sweet relish
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon celery salt
- POTATOES: dice the potatoes into ½ inch cubes and add that to a saucepan and fill with water. Season the water generously with salt and let boil until the potatoes are fork tender, about 10-12 minutes.
- MACARONI: while the potatoes are cooking, cook the macaroni according to package directions.
- DRESSING: combine the mayonnaise, relish, vinegar, mustard, sugar, garlic powder, celery salt, and ¼ teaspoon of salt in a bowl, whisk until combined.
- ASSEMBLE: add the potatoes, macaroni, peas and carrots, onions, and celery to a large bowl. Drizzle with the prepared dressing and season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Macaroni Potato Salad can be assembled one day ahead of time. The peas do tend to lose their vibrant green color but the salad tastes even better when it sits!
is this a good choice for you?
for 1/10th of the recipe.
We are a participant in both the RewardStyle and Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, which are affiliate advertising programs designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com and through RewardStyle.