We have some serious business to discuss.
Who likes leftovers? Okay and I see just about zero people raising their hands! Let’s admit it folks, leftovers are unpleasant. It’s like finding out you’re down to the last pair of socks and they have holes in 3 out of the 5 toes, on each foot. Unless it’s thanksgiving turkey, leftovers are not a welcoming sight around here.
Guess what? I’ve got a secret. I’m willing to share it with you, because we’re friends.
You know that takeout fried rice you love so much? What if I told you that you could have that at home in under 15 minutes. Shut up! I know right?
This take out fried rice recipe is best made with rice that is at least a day old. Lets put those leftovers to good use! Here’s what we’ll need.
This rice was cooked one day prior. We’re using it cold for this recipe.
Beat that egg, heat that oil, scramble the egg for 30 seconds and add that colorful confetti of peas and carrots.
Cook the peas and carrots for 1 minute before adding the granulated garlic and cold rice. Cook for 1 more minute then add the black pepper, soy sauce, scallions, and green chili. We’re almost there, get those plates out, it’s about to be chow time! Drizzle with sesame oil and toss and you’re ready to serve!
- 1 tablespoon canola oil (or any other light, flavorless oil)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup peas and carrots, defrosted
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic powder (or more)
- 2 cups rice, cold, cooked at least one day prior (I used basmati rice)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 scallions, sliced very thinly
- 1 green thai chili pepper, sliced very thinly (optional) (also known as Birds Eye Pepper)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Beat the egg in a small bowl with a pinch of salt and set aside for later use.
- Heat the canola oil in a large nonstick skillet. Scramble the beaten egg in the skillet for 30 seconds then add the peas and carrots and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the granulated garlic powder and the cold rice to the skillet and continue to cook for another minute or until the rice is completely heated through. Sprinkle the black pepper, soy sauce, scallions and thai chili pepper and continue to cook for 1 minute. Toss and mix all ingredients well.
- Drizzle with sesame oil and toss once again. Enjoy!