Avocado Shrimp Salad with Cumin Lime Dressing
An avocado shrimp salad loaded with fresh, juicy tomatoes, red onions, crunchy romaine lettuce, seasoned shrimp, and creamy avocados. The cumin lime dressing really makes this salad irresistible!
We’re just a short 4 days away from moving into our new two bedroom apartment. The excitement. It’s reaching record highs. The thought of having my own office space/ photo studio is keeping me up at night. <– And when I sleep, I dream about it, too. Well, that and cookie cake.
☝ That’s the fun part. The not so fun part is spending the next 4 days tiptoeing between boxes (my poor stubbed toes) and making sure I don’t knock them over on myself. And whats worse than that? The cleaning. I love having a clean home. I abso-freakin-lutely love it. I feel like I can think clearer. I just HATE the actual act of cleaning. *insert pout face here*.
So with all the chaos that’s whirling around my neck of the woods, I needed a quick and easy meal that would not only keep the two of us full, but also give us the energy to keep going like faster than the Energizer bunny. And so this avocado shrimp salad was the perfect meal.
Not only is this salad loaded with so many good for you ingredients, it’s also light and fresh. The cumin lime dressing pairs beautifully with it giving it a slightly smoky flavor with the sweet hints of sweet and spicy. The dressing isn’t overly rich. And all the ingredients for the dressing are pantry staples so you can always enjoy it.
The ingredient for this cumin lime vinaigrette are simple. It’s a given that we’ll be using some oil and vinegar. I used extra virgin olive oil as the flavor pairs beautifully with the smoky cumin. And apple cider vinegar. You can use distilled vinegar if you don’t have apple cider. But since the acidity in apple cider vinegar is slightly higher, the flavor will be a little different. To sweeten the dressing just a tad bit, we’re using a touch of honey. Lime zest, lime juice, granulated garlic, cumin, and dijon give this cumin lime dressing a big punch of flavor. This is no boring old shrimp salad!
To flavor the shrimp for this avocado shrimp salad, we’re using a few simple ingredients. A little granulated garlic and a little smoky paprika with salt and pepper is all you need. The cumin lime dressing has so much flavor that all we really need is a little bit of seasoning and the paprika to help give shrimp that lovely orange hue.
Did I mention that this salad is perfect to make ahead and keep in boxes in the refrigerator for the week ahead? Just prepare each component and store separately. 1.) cumin lime salad dressing 2.) shrimp 3.) salad. Chop the avocados fresh so they don’t turn that funny brown color and you’ve got a few lunches for the week all set to go.
I love quick and easy lunches (or dinners) that take less than 30 minutes to make and are perfect to enjoy all week long!
- 1 lb. medium shrimp
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 granulated garlic
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 cups romaine lettuce
- 1 1/4 cups beefsteak tomato, diced
- 2 large avocados, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1-2 jalapeño, finely diced (remove seeds and ribs first)
Cumin lime dressing:
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- zest of 1 lime
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat a nonstick skillet of medium high heat, add the oil and sauté the shrimp for 2-3 minutes or until they start to turn opaque. Season with the paprika, garlic, and salt and pepper. Set aside to cool.
- Combine all the ingredients for the dressing in a mason jar, screw on the lid and give it a good shake until ingredients are mixed. Dressing will separate after some time, just shake again to mix.
- Add the lettuce, tomatoes, avocados, onions, and jalapeños to a large salad bowl, add the shrimp and desired amount of dressing, toss salad to coat. Serve immediately.