Alright people, tie those aprons on tight, grab your spatulas and whisks, we’re diving head first into another holiday.
Wrapping paper, tinsel, ornaments, party dresses, scotch tape, and the perfect shade of Christmas red lipstick . That’s what life is going to be like for the next few weeks.
It’s time to prepare little tokens of love to bring holiday cheer to everyone around.
And nothing brings cheer like cookies. You know you’re special when you get a batch. Especially these pistachio cardamom cookies.They most certainly are not your ‘cookie cutter’ cookies (I couldn’t resist, don’t judge). Cookies show, you mean business. A good cookie says, “hey friend, you’re worth baking for”.
You know the mailman that’s been bringing you mail all year, he needs a gift. Oh and the babysitter, a present for the landlord, and a little somethin’ somethin’ for that gem of a neighbor that’s always there to lend an ear. We need gifts to give them all! And preferably something they can’t return. Jokes.
It doesn’t hurt to have an extra dozen of these cookies to take to the office either.
Oh and as an added bonus, these cookies make the whole place smell delicious. Plus, nobody needs to know that you spent under 30 minutes making these. That’s just our little secret!
Nani's Pistachio Cardamom Cookies (Nan Khatai)
These pistachio cookies are loaded with almonds, cardamom and speckled with pistachios. They contain whole semolina, which gives them a unique, melt in your mouth, crumbly texture.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 and 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup Crisco shortening
- 1/2 cup semolina, whole
- 1 tablespoon pulverized almonds (almond meal will also work)
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 24 pistachios, shelled
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and place two racks near the center of the oven.
- In a medium bowl, sift the flour and baking powder together and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar and Crisco, using a rubber spatula, fold until the sugar starts to incorporate with the Crisco. Add the semolina, pulverized almonds, and cardamom powder to the sugar and Crisco mixture and fold to incorporate. Add the flour in all at once and using the spatula or clean hands, form a large dough ball. Portion out 24 pieces.
- Take a portion in the palm of your hand and form a loose fist around it. This will slightly soften the shortening and make it easier to form a ball. Roll the dough between both palms to form a ball. Place the dough ball on a baking sheet lined with parchment, slightly press down to flatten the top and place a pistachio in the center. Repeat the process with all portions.
- Bake for 15 – 18 minutes. The cookies will remain about the same color as prior to baking. Do not brown.
You may experience cracks when you press down on the dough ball to flatten the top, prior to baking, not to worry, this is normal.
©. All images & content are the sole property of Little Spice Jar. Please obtain permission prior to using my images. If you would like to republish a recipe, please link back to this post and re-write the instructions in your own words.
Love this recipe?
Have you made this recipe? Take a picture and share it on Instagram using the hashtag #LITTLESPICEJAR. I love seeing your delicious creations!